Author Topic: '68 Camaro w/BBC update  (Read 4984 times)

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
'68 Camaro w/BBC update
« on: May 07, 2020, 03:03:02 AM »
OK, it's been awhile but I thought I should send out an update on my '68 Camaro that had the "VIN issue".  I can't get into all of the details but suffice it to say that the VIN HAD been altered and I tried the legal approach but that fizzled out.  So, I have decided to make the car into what I want.  Since it has turned out to be an original 6-cyl car I have now opted to make some major changes and proceed as follows:
First, I replaced all of the front suspension (converted front drums to discs) new Eibach coil springs, powdercoated the original upper and lower control arms, new ball joints, sway bar, etc.  I swapped out the one-legger rear for a newly rebuilt 8.5 in. posi unit with 3.55 gears, bought new Eaton multi leaf springs and all the hardware plus CE subframe connectors.  Bought a new set of 15X8 Rallys and 275/60R/15 tires (to match the fronts). 
Oh, and I ordered and just received a 555 cu. in. engine from Skip White Performance (dyno'd and broken in).  I'm in the process of ordering a new Denny's Driveshaft (probably of the SRHD3-S2 variety or maybe Aluminum AL3.5-1330) and still need to decide on how to cool this monster (probably going aluminum with single or dual electric fans).  My biggest dilemma right now is finding headers to bolt up to the existing system - looking for shorty headers with 1 3/4 primaries but it is really hard to find any for this application!  I do have power steering but no A/C, and I have a 4-spd Muncie.

So, I'm hoping to leave you with a couple of teaser pics, if I can.

Talk to you all later,
Greg

'68 Camaro RS/SS 555 4-spd (coming soon!)
'68 RS/SS 427 4spd Jet black/white stripe

buenymayor

• View Profile
Re: '68 Camaro w/BBC update
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2020, 09:44:03 AM »
Nice looking car. Don't set it up for too much traction.... doubt the Muncie will like the torque of the 555 if she hooks good.

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 10:50:52 AM »
Nice looking car. Don't set it up for too much traction.... doubt the Muncie will like the torque of the 555 if she hooks good.

Thanks.  Probably just street tires.  Love driving a 4-spd.

Greg

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 08:45:52 PM »

Nice Camaro. I foresee a TKO 5 speed in your future!  lol
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

stevieBB54

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 02:54:42 AM »
Nice! Did you convert the rear drums to discs too? Did you have to change the master or any brake valves? I have a 68 BB with Hedman shorties with P/S and CPP hydra boost. Reason I ask is I am almost finished converting to rear discs so I will be 4 wheel DB, and the only brake valving I have is an adjustable proportioning valve. Trying to figure out if this will be enough.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 05:42:05 AM »
Nice! Did you convert the rear drums to discs too? Did you have to change the master or any brake valves? I have a 68 BB with Hedman shorties with P/S and CPP hydra boost. Reason I ask is I am almost finished converting to rear discs so I will be 4 wheel DB, and the only brake valving I have is an adjustable proportioning valve. Trying to figure out if this will be enough.

Using a Hydro-Boost set up can be quite complicated. Make sure you use what is recommend from the manufacturer. Most aftermarket set ups are pattered after either Corvette or Mustang components. Also, certain set ups will require the use of 'matched' parts. Using an incorrect power steering pump can cause a failure. Another example don't use one brand of rotors/calipers, on the front and different set on the rear. Use what is recommend, including any proportioning valves, and brake lines. IF in doubt, call the manufacturer's tech line.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:18:03 AM »
Good advice crossboss.... in following manufacturer's recommendations~    and applicable in almost all arenas as well, not just in brakes... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

warnergn

• Greg
    • View Profile
Re: '68 Camaro w/BBC update2
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2022, 06:31:45 PM »
I realize it's coming up on 2 years since this update but I have a new update.  After a whole bunch of back and forth just trying to get this car legal again I can finally say that I now have a state-issued VIN for Camaro.  I spent months and months getting everything to the point of actually driving the car and hope to do so this weekend. 
Quick refresher:  Car was found to have an altered VIN - tried pursuing the legal route but hit a dead-end and would have wasted time and money getting nowhere fruitful.  So, I built the car to my personal tastes.  I purchased a 555 cu in engine that I shoe-horned into the car, got the car rewired so that I could accommodate the 4-spd console with my Autogear M22 (M20 gearing) and a Tic-Toc-Tac.  Fired 'er up for the first time last week and after bleeding the brakes I hope to break in the rebuilt rear, tranny and engine all at the same time.  Got 15" Ralleys all around (15x7 and 15x8) but will be swapping them out for some Rocket Racing polished Strike wheels on BFGs soon.

Sorry for using this old subject line but it was better than starting from scratch with all the previous details.  This has been quite an arduous task but looking back it seems to have been worth it. 

GregW
'68 RS/SS Camaro 555/4-spd/jet black/white stripe

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 03:34:42 AM »
I was hoping you would have gone with the 6 cylinder. 

anything