Author Topic: Speedometer cable rotating stiffness ???  (Read 1584 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Speedometer cable rotating stiffness ???
« on: April 29, 2020, 03:40:14 PM »
I purchased a new two piece speedometer cable for my '68 to replace the original. The original still functioned fine but the connections at the transmission, and where the two cable halves join together, after having been cranked on numerous times with pliers and corrosion from the elements, were looking pretty rough. I tried to pretty the connectors up with some silver paint but they still look bad.

The internal cables on my original spin freely when turned by hand. No resistance whatsoever! The new cable I got is from Classic Headquarters. I can spin the internal cable by hand but there is some resistance. It's noticeably stiffer than the original. And it's really only the longer section of the new two piece cable that's harder to turn. The short section turns free like the original.

You would think that it would be the other way around.....the old cable would be stiff and the new would turn with no resistance.

So my questions are...….are new cables a little stiff at the beginning and it just needs a little break in time.....or should I try lubricating the new cable? If I should lubricate it, could someone recommend a specific product?

Thanks......Dave

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer cable rotating stiffness ???
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 05:12:37 AM »
Dave the cable needs to be lubed, would've thought it should have come pre-lubed but maybe not?
Have had mixed results in the past with lithium grease, as it seems to harden over time, so would think some sort of oil would be more appropriate for this - might even find a dedicated cable lubricant at your local auto parts store?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

67CruiseMaster

• View Profile
Re: Speedometer cable rotating stiffness ???
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 12:32:41 PM »
I would use graphite. No clumping and is not affected by moisture.
67 SS/RS with original Cruise Control
67 Tuxedo Black Convertible.

anything