Author Topic: Indianapolis Raceway Park 1969 Camaro RS/SS Z11 Festival Cars USAC Drive Intros  (Read 2490 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Multiple white with orange stripes 1969 Camaro RS/SS Z11 convertibles were used to parade the drivers around the track prior to the Yankee 200 United States Auto Club (USAC) late model stock car race held on the 2.5 mile road course at Indianapolis Raceway Park in Brownsville, Indiana on Sunday, May 4, 1969.  Parnelli Jones started from the pole and won the race in his 1969 Ford Torino Talladega.

I haven't been able to find any photographic evidence of what was used as the pace car for this event but since it looks like some of the festival cars that were destined for use at the 1969 Indianapolis 500 were used at this event in the Indianapolis area it might be a safe be to assume that one of the actual Camaro pace cars that would be used for the 1969 Indianapolis 500 was also used to pace this event.  I count no less than eleven Z11's in the photograph but there might be more out of view.

CRG member "68camaroZ28" originally posted this photo in a thread on this web site.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 04:00:02 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Also notice the 1969 Corvette convertible with the beauty queen inside at the head of the parade of Camaro Festival Cars.  It also appears to be painted to match the Z11's with a white paint job and twin orange racing stripes.  Has anyone seen this Corvette before?  I have not been able to locate any other period photos or current day photos of this car.  It does not appear in the photo showing all of the Chevrolet products used at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway during the month of May (2nd photo).  Perhaps it was produced by a local dealer for use at Indianapolis Raceway Park?? If so, it seems plausible that once the dealer got it back they probably took the stripes off of the car and offered it for sale as a used plain white Corvette.

I haven't seen it in any photos taken during the NHRA event held at the drag strip on the property either.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:41:15 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Information on this track is scarce.  I haven't been able to find the souvenir event program for this event but a map showing the various track configurations and an advertisement for the event appeared in programs for other events at the track.

1) worthpoint
2) https://www.hofcityauctions.com/auction/may-09-may-16-auction/1969-irp-5-8-oval-indianapolis-raceway-park-race-program-usac-midgets-late-model-hobby-stocks/

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:42:36 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Here's a cool unused 1960's vintage decal from the track.  (worthpoint)
Scott

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Highly likely to be the festival cars. They were sitting around, might as well use them!
I agree, the most notable car is that striped Corvette.
Kurt S
CRG

Fred Mertz

• View Profile
Did Rich Vogler met his fate at this track.  It was a televised race on the paved oval.  I believe it was on Saturday Night Thunder on TNN.  Back in the 80's ?

SMKZ28

• View Profile
Did Rich Vogler met his fate at this track.  It was a televised race on the paved oval.  I believe it was on Saturday Night Thunder on TNN.  Back in the 80's ?

It was not this track.  According to Wikipedia: "Days before his 40th birthday, Vogler was competing in a nationally broadcast ESPN Thunder Joe James / Pat O'Connor Memorial sprint car event at Salem Speedway. He was leading the race at the time, when his car crashed with just over a lap to go. Vogler's helmet flew off of his head and he suffered severe head injuries that proved to be fatal.

Because of USAC rules on a red flag reverting to the previous completed lap, he was declared the winner of the event following his death, which was his 170th win. He was scheduled to make his NASCAR Winston Cup (now NASCAR Cup Series) series debut at Pocono Raceway the day after his fatal crash. He was awarded a 40th-place finish (as a "Did Not Start")."
Scott

anything