Author Topic: ZL-1 Stock Eliminator  (Read 10348 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
ZL-1 Stock Eliminator
« on: February 21, 2020, 07:00:00 PM »
Boys,
Were there any 1969 ZL-1 Camaros that raced in the Stock/Super Stock Eliminator classes? If so, would the Stock classification be under A/S? Photos and info would be much appreciated, thanks.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: ZL-1 Stock Eliminator
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 08:28:52 PM »
For many years, the ZL1 weight-to-horsepower ratio was too stout to qualify for Stock Eliminator when the fastest class was A/S that broke at 8 pounds per horsepower.  Several years ago, with the addition of the AA/S and AA/SA classes that break at 7.5 pounds per horsepower the combination is eligible for Stock.  It is currently rated at 445 horsepower which means that a ZL1 Camaro has to cross the scales at 3505# after driver weight is added.  In 2019, seven cars including last year's World Champion, Brian McClanahan, made runs in AA/SA while claiming that combination.  I don't know if any or all of them actually used the aluminum block. Obviously, in recent years, the combination has been used more frequently. No cars teched in with that combination in AA/S. 

I know that Billy Boyd, a racer from Colorado, ran a ZL1 aluminum block in S/S within the last 30 years and there were probably others but I can't name them.  The first NHRA legal stocker to record a 9 second run and tear down for the record was Bobby DeArmond in about 2001, however that car was equipped with an L72, iron block motor.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 09:19:45 PM »
Following up on this topic, this is a link to an advertisement for Billy Boyd's '69.  I am not sure if the car is an original ZL1 car.  <https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/gallery-super-stock-69-zl-1-camaro-up-for-grabs/>

Images of the McClanahan Family car can be found at:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=brian+mcclanahan+racing&oq=Brian+McClanahan+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l2.20359j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8>

The McClanahan car is not an original ZL1 car.  Brian, his son (Ryan), and his dad (Jerry), have each been crowned a World Champion in Stock or Super Stock NHRA drag racing .  To my knowledge, this family is the only three-generational group to accomplish this feat.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
The Boyd car appears to have an early style body tag in the engine bay photo. That would mean it is not a production ZL1 Camaro.

At least two '69s raced with ZL1 engines back in the day by Bill Jenkins and Jungle Jim Liberman were not production cars. Another '69 raced by Shay Nichols, is supposed to be a Gibb/Harrell car but vintage photos show a white standard interior. The only ZL1 built with that interior is in near perfect original condition and was never raced.
Learning more and more about less and less...

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 01:32:42 AM »
William, all that is good to know.  I only saw one production ZL1 "in the day" and that one was bought from a dealer in Alhambra and driven to a race shop to be converted into a Pro Stock car.  It was silver/black interior and it is my belief that it has since been restored.  Each bit of information serves to complete another piece of the puzzle.

c

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 08:31:10 AM »
I have a photo somewhere of ZL-1 #4, Gibb-delivered then went to Hauser, campaigning around 1970 in SS/BA lettered 'Sabatine's Speed Shop'.
But not sure if it raced with the alum 427...... it had a 396/402 by ~1971..
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 03:56:59 PM »
Until about ten years ago, NHRA effectively blocked the 1969 ZL1 from Stock Eliminator by excluding cars with a horsepower-to-weight ratio below 8 pounds per horsepower and additionally by excluding models that were produced in quantities of fewer than 500 units.  When NHRA eased those requirements, manufacturers began licensing the construction of modern Camaro COPO, Dodge Drag Pack, and Mustang Cobra Jet race-only cars in Stock Eliminator.  Now, there are instances in which a Camaro that produces, arguably, in the area of 800 horsepower, running an 8.35 ET at over 160 MPH chasing down an 80 horsepower, front-wheel drive, Plymouth Horizon that runs a 16.60 ET at 75 MPH!  Factor in the requirement that the driver of the Horizon is not required to have a roll bar and is equipped with only a lap belt and a helmet for safety gear.  What could go wrong??   

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »
ZL1 #4 was part of my life for 32 years so I know its history well. Definitely raced with its original engine for the 1970 season. Didn't do much as they never put a high stall converter in it. Returned to Hauser Chev early in 1971, swapped engines, cleaned up, repainted. Sold off the used car lot.

The original engine [or the engine from the other Hauser ZL1, #43] ended up in a '71 Camaro PRO car. That car was sold to some racers from CA. #43 was stolen off Hauser's lot 1972 after the original owner surrendered it in a warranty beef. Never recovered but they probably didn't check the bottom of the Lehigh Canal, a few blocks from Hauser.

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2020, 05:01:43 PM »
William, all that is good to know.  I only saw one production ZL1 "in the day" and that one was bought from a dealer in Alhambra and driven to a race shop to be converted into a Pro Stock car.  It was silver/black interior and it is my belief that it has since been restored.  Each bit of information serves to complete another piece of the puzzle.

c

Probably the #13 car, N609171 silver 4-speed. Sold out of Jack Head Chev in Alhambra. Saw it at SC-Indy many years ago, all restored.

Crazy story. We bought #4 out of Kuna, Idaho 1987 where it was bracket raced at Firebird Raceway in Eagle, Idaho. Very likely ran against #13, also in Idaho at the time. Two silver ZL1 Camaros side by side and no one knew.

Jack Head also had ZL1 #39, Fathom Green auto. It's recorded as stolen/never recovered but someone informed me it is/was a lifetime race car, never registered.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:50 PM »
Boys,
Thanks to everyone commenting on this. I do realize running a very limited production car in an NHRA 'Stock' class would be major up hill battle. I would guess 'IF' a ZL-1 did compete, it would be factored among the 426 Hemi cars.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2020, 08:25:55 PM »
Crossboss said:  "Thanks to everyone commenting on this. I do realize running a very limited production car in an NHRA 'Stock' class would be major up hill battle. I would guess 'IF' a ZL-1 did compete, it would be factored among the 426 Hemi cars."

That is an accurate assumption.  The fastest time recorded in AA/SA in 2019 (9.62) was turned by a '65 Race Hemi Belvedere at Gainsville.  The fastest ZL1-entered in any NHRA event in AA/SA went 9.66 at Orlando.  The Hemi car is a bit heavier since it is rated at 450 hp by NHRA while the Camaro is rated at 445.  I feel fairly confident that none of the Camaros running that combination is a true ZL1.  I don't know about the originality of the Mopars but the classification guide specifies:  "Any body combination with a Race Hemi (425/450) has a wheelbase 1 inch less than listed for that body in other classes..
Race hemis are steel cars, no aluminum components. All have hood scoops."

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2020, 01:48:17 PM »
It would really be interesting (and fun to watch!) a real ZL-1, 'Hemi Cuda/Challenger, and a Boss 429 compete in Stock Eliminator. Since I have always been intrigued with those cars/engines. Yes, I am aware one or two of them do show up at the FAST class and the Muscle Car Nationals. However, I do question the 'originality' of said cars..eg: small block cars 'converted' to the three mentioned. Most likely a Boss 429 would be the most difficult to reproduce because of the unique shock towers involved. Anyways, one can only dream to actually see them race together!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2020, 05:38:09 PM »
always like this car. anyone have info on it's history or survival?

Paul

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »
Same photo displayed at B-J AZ 2012 for ZL1 #9 N608879. Restored but was disclosed as a rebody.

"A GM factory assembled body shell was used to correct the extensive body modifications performed during this cars long term drag race history."

L78racer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2020, 03:14:49 AM »
Thank you.
Paul