Author Topic: Chevrolet Trans Am racing program carburetors?  (Read 5121 times)

PontiacEd

• View Profile
Chevrolet Trans Am racing program carburetors?
« on: March 23, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
Hello,

I am looking for someone with knowledge of the Chevrolet Trans Am racing program, specifically about the carburetors that were used on the race cars.  I recently bought a new restoration project car and it had an unusual Holley carburetor on it.  The carburetor is  stamped with a GM part number 3965736 and List-4830.  I have only found a few people who can find record of this carburetor and they have all identified it as a 830 cfm double pumper Holley 4 barrel from the Chevrolet Trans Am racing program.  I would like to learn more about it and see if I can find it a suitable home.  Is anyone here familiar with this program and the parts used in it?  Do you know of anyone who might be able to help me?  Thanks in advance.

Pontiac Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Chevrolet Trans Am racing program carburetors?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 03:23:16 PM »
That carburetor is listed in the March, 1972 edition of the Chevrolet "Special Equipment" (race parts) booklet as the recommended carburetor for racing use on the Z/28 1x4 intake for 302 and 350 small-blocks; it was an over-the-counter part only, and never had a production application.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

PontiacEd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 06:07:33 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That's the most specific things I've heard so far.  Do you have an idea what this carb might be worth?

Pontiac Ed

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 03:41:11 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That's the most specific things I've heard so far.  Do you have an idea what this carb might be worth?

Pontiac Ed

Probably less than a production carburetor like a 4053, as it was an over-the-counter part; essentially an aftermarket double-pumper with a GM part number on it.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG