Author Topic: Replacement A-arms  (Read 4374 times)

bheston

• View Profile
Replacement A-arms
« on: January 01, 2020, 08:11:05 PM »
I’ve ordered a new set of stamped A-arms for the 69. I was planning on blasting, painting and replacing the ball joints in the stock arms. However, I can get new ones complete with the ball joints for only $370 with poly bushings.

I restore the originals at some point in the future if I ever wanted to go back.  I prefer the stock look and I don’t have any interest in making a pro touring machine at this point. However, it’s difficult not to lust over a set of tubular arms and coil-overs.

Is there a big advantage to the tubular arms? The ability to adjust the shocks with coil-overs would be nice to have.

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Replacement A-arms
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 01:14:01 AM »
Upgraded suspensions improve handling, comfort and ride quality. You'll get better info at Team Camaro or Pro Touring sites. Try Pozzi Racing as well. I would not buy repro "factory" a-arm replacements. I'd source nice, used original  parts and rebuild them myself. Plenty are available.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 01:47:04 AM »
My friend actually researched the tubular arm upgrade. If you go that route do your homework, on the camber caster improvements, because my friend explored the LBS, and weight wise some tubular arms weigh MORE that the stock stamped ones. They all look pretty, but make sure you're getting what you want out of the arm.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

bheston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 11:44:19 AM »
Upgraded suspensions improve handling, comfort and ride quality. You'll get better info at Team Camaro or Pro Touring sites. Try Pozzi Racing as well. I would not buy repro "factory" a-arm replacements. I'd source nice, used original  parts and rebuild them myself. Plenty are available.

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the aftermarket “factory” a-arms are inferior to the originals?

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. Do you think the aftermarket “factory” a-arms are inferior to the originals?

If you are referring to CPP produced repro A arms, then the answer is definitely that they are inferior; everything CPP produces is inferior (IMO)...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »
IF you decide to go the aftermarket tubular 'A' arm route, look no further than Global West. Doug is the owner/inventor, and is one of the first (and best in my opinion) to make them.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)