Author Topic: Pony Car/Musclecar market going away?  (Read 15300 times)

jcabuilder

• View Profile
Re: Pony Car/Musclecar market going away?
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2019, 01:46:08 AM »
Just my luck. It's like the stock market buy high and sell low!  I just purchase a 1969 Z28 X33 trim code all original painted in tuxedo black.  I attended the 2020 Corvette unveiling in Atlantic city and would like to sell my Z28 now that I saw the new corvette.  I'll probably won't even break even if I sell it.
1969 Z28 X33 Tuxedo Black
2007 BMW Z4 Sapphire Black Metallic
2016 Ford F150 King Ranch Shadow Black

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2019, 02:23:50 AM »
Well that depends on a lot of things. How much you paid, how original the car is... If you are patient it may work out alright.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2019, 03:31:43 AM »
Well one thing for sure is that if you bought any brand new car a few months ago you would be losing a ton of money.....however now at least you have a chance to break even or make a little money all the time enjoying your 69!
I also went to the Hendrick chevrolet unveiling of the 2020 corvette... they are really nice, I would love to own one as well!

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
Does anyone remember when you could buy an old muscle car, put a little sweat equity into it, sell it for double what you paid then do it all over again? That market is gone on our cars, but the next generation has their own cars this is possible with. Part of the hobby is deal making and that's hard to do with a mature market like first generation Camaro.
I follow BAT, and am amazed at what is considered collectible now. The market is so wide.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »
The big auction houses set the trends; as pointed out above, one unexpectedly high sale of an import model triggers a sudden increase in perceived value, and folk who speculate to appreciate will always go with what they think is the next big thing.
Culturally the popularity of vehicles, fashion, music etc all follows what seems to be about a cyclic 30-year lag. The 60's became cool again in the 90's, the 70's in the 'noughties', and so on.
Ask yourself what sports/performance cars of the late 80's/early 90's stand out - maybe the Corvette ZR1, but what else? Not really many iconic US domestic models that I can think of......

The 80's cars that are remembered most are the 5.0 Mustangs, Corvettes, IROC Camaros, and the one biggie is the Grand National/GNX. Also popular were the Monte Carlos and Thunderbird/Turbo Coupes. Btw, the ZR-1 'Vette does not really bring big money (currently) compared to the GN, and especially the GNX.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 04:35:39 PM by crossboss »
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2019, 05:14:53 PM »
Does anyone remember when you could buy an old muscle car, put a little sweat equity into it, sell it for double what you paid then do it all over again? That market is gone on our cars, but the next generation has their own cars this is possible with. Part of the hobby is deal making and that's hard to do with a mature market like first generation Camaro.
I follow BAT, and am amazed at what is considered collectible now. The market is so wide.

BAT is joke. They only allow comments that will steer towards higher bidding. I follow many sites including that one. BAT is generally 5-10% higher than anywhere else. Sometimes much more. You can have Porsches that are well documented have been inspected and are vetted. Then they list a Mustang or Camaro, and all that is out the window. They have no clue how to describe original features, or even what was original. On top of all that, there are many times a buyer will just disappear, and no recourse is taken. I believe Hemmings is in the process of putting together a better marketplace of online auctions, since BAT had some early success. Hemmings is trying to do it in a way that is more bullet proof from what I understand. I hope this means they will turn cars away that do not meet a standard.

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 01:11:34 AM »
Just my luck. It's like the stock market buy high and sell low!  I just purchase a 1969 Z28 X33 trim code all original painted in tuxedo black.  I attended the 2020 Corvette unveiling in Atlantic city and would like to sell my Z28 now that I saw the new corvette.  I'll probably won't even break even if I sell it.

I would resist the urge and stick with the your Z. Wait until 2022 and you will find yourself a nice low mileage 2020 C8 for 3/4's of the current price. Then you can have your cake and eat it too.
Joe
69 Camaro

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 02:56:09 PM »

I would resist the urge and stick with the your Z. Wait until 2022 and you will find yourself a nice low mileage 2020 C8 for 3/4's of the current price. Then you can have your cake and eat it too.

Excellent advice! I would never buy a 'new' car again, for that same reason…depreciation. Wait for a low mileage lease return, then buy…sometimes with a better warranty the new car had! Then you can really have your cake and eat it too!
1968 Olds 442 W-30

JoeC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 12:12:55 PM »
the collector market is hard to predict
when the old Ferraris leveled off, people said the young collectors were not interested and wouldn't spend their investment income on them. The old Ferrari's then doubled and tripled

I never thought 1980s pick ups and SUV would go as high as they been doing

this is a pretty good article
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/collector-car-market-buy-hold-sell-classic-vintage/

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »
when the old Ferraris leveled off, people said the young collectors were not interested and wouldn't spend their investment income on them. The old Ferrari's then doubled and tripled

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/collector-car-market-buy-hold-sell-classic-vintage/

Ferraris are a different animal compared to the Muscle Cars. Ferrari is a limited production/unique brand/highly priced automobile, and that will keep demand/prices up. Everyone wants one, from young to old. I hate to say this, Muscle Cars are not generating interest in the newer generations. The 'market' will determine what IS in demand.
1968 Olds 442 W-30

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
I do completely agree with the muscle car market slowing, however there always seems to be an interest in early Mustangs and early Camaros ...My mid twenties kids say that is considered very cool to drive and old car around town especially with the top down....there thought is don’t have to go fast just cruise and get noticed.

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 05:55:14 PM »
I do completely agree with the muscle car market slowing, however there always seems to be an interest in early Mustangs and early Camaros ...My mid twenties kids say that is considered very cool to drive and old car around town especially with the top down....there thought is don’t have to go fast just cruise and get noticed.

I agree. Older Mustangs and Camaros are still popular with many people. That said, unfortunately, it doesn't mean most of the newer generation wants to own them. For an example, my younger cousin has a saying for our cars: "Rocker Cars" as in rock 'n roll music fans. Translation: older folks! LOL
1968 Olds 442 W-30

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 06:29:00 PM »

according to that rest-o mods and original muscle is 50/50 split. Maybe that is what is seen in auction houses, or trending? I don't see half the classic car market going that way in my area.

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 09:03:12 PM »

according to that rest-o mods and original muscle is 50/50 split. Maybe that is what is seen in auction houses, or trending? I don't see half the classic car market going that way in my area.

I have been noticing the rise in restomods and modernized classic muscle cars are typically surpassing restored original cars at auctions. Forget which specific Mecum auction but they had two Corvettes go back to back. Both C2's, One was a 67 big block roadster that was very high end restored (might have had some NCRS awards) sell for a little over $100k. Right after that was like a 65/66 with a aftermarket frame with late model suspension, a ls engine, modern style interior, etc. Defiantly had a lot of money dumped into redoing the car, sold for near $300k. I remember that if you wanted to at least break even on a Corvette you didnt modify it.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 11:24:13 PM »

I have been noticing the rise in restomods and modernized classic muscle cars are typically surpassing restored original cars at auctions. Forget which specific Mecum auction but they had two Corvettes go back to back. Both C2's, One was a 67 big block roadster that was very high end restored (might have had some NCRS awards) sell for a little over $100k. Right after that was like a 65/66 with a aftermarket frame with late model suspension, a ls engine, modern style interior, etc. Defiantly had a lot of money dumped into redoing the car, sold for near $300k. I remember that if you wanted to at least break even on a Corvette you didnt modify it.

Corvette C-4 and C-5 models are really soft at this time (of course rare models like L-88s are the exception). I have been watching them (possibly looking to buy), so I do agree prices are way down and its a buyers market. Obviously with the auction prices going sky high on Resto-Mods they are all the rage at the moment. Also magazines like Hot-Rod are progressing this trend with LS swaps in everything. Will this continue? Only time will tell...
1968 Olds 442 W-30

anything