Author Topic: 1968 RS rocker panel molding holes in rear quarter  (Read 3289 times)

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
1968 RS rocker panel molding holes in rear quarter
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:50:28 PM »
On my 1968 RS, the holes in the rear quarter panel are exactly like the ones shown here on CRG in the options section.
That is, there are 2 large holes and one smaller hole for the rear quarter panel molding clips.
The clip kit I have contains 3 retainers of the same kind that all need the large hole.
I am thinking this is a mistake on the clip manufactures side and there should be a different type of clip for use in the smaller hole.
Does anyone have an original car they can confirm?

heinz57

• View Profile
Re: 1968 RS rocker panel molding holes in rear quarter
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 02:13:19 PM »
I know this is an old topic, but I have yet to find an answer. I actually made templates of these holes from my original quarters before they were replaced and the body shop lost them. Thinking I was covered, I scrapped the quarter panels. Now I have a painted car and no holes. I did order the templates online, but they aren't made off the original location or hole size, rather, they are made for the "new" aftermarket hardware and aren't even close. Did you happen to make a template or copy the dimensions? I've looked in the AIM and they aren't there, I think because Fisher did all but the front end before it went to the Chevrolet side, so there was no need to put them in there.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 09:00:50 PM »
My 68 is the same. I used a threaded clip for the small hole, same as the threaded clip for the ends of the door piece. Had to remove the door jamb vent to access. I used the push in clips for the large holes, same as the other clips in the door piece. The clip kit did not come this way, but I had a couple clip kits to use parts from.

heinz57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 02:04:15 AM »
Thanks for the info on the hole dimension, it really helps! I think I can muddle my way through where to drill the holes.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 03:22:27 AM »
This is a time where a Fisher body manual would help.

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 04:06:53 PM »
This is a time where a Fisher body manual would help.

Not really. Does not show hole location or size. Only has method of retention and that is listed as screws and snap on clips on molding.

See pages 17-29 and 17-30.

David K

• Dr. Longblock
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2022, 03:34:42 AM »
I’m talking about the Fisher body book that none of us have seen or have access to…engineering approved drawings.