Author Topic: 67 standard to RS front conversion.  (Read 11314 times)

shore-power

• View Profile
67 standard to RS front conversion.
« on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:01 PM »
Anyone ever convert a standard 67 front grill to a RS style with the Hide-a-way headlights?  I have always like the looks of the RS front and I was thinking about making that change to my 67.  Any thoughts?

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: 67 standard to RS front conversion.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:24:37 PM »
I realize that there are several significant differences between '67 and '69 (elecrical vs. vacuum for example), but to give you an idea, for '69 it would have involved:

different outer fenders, different inner fenders, different grille, hideaway headlight assemblies, vacuum actuators, protection covers for the actuators, mounting brackets for the vacuum actuators, vacuum reservoir, relay valve and the associated vacuum lines, different headlight switch with vacuum hose connections, check valve, etc.

If you have or have access to a '67 assembly manual, look in the back at RPO Z22 which details the RS package.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:32:21 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 11:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the reply. From what I can tell the lower valance will need to be replaced with one that has parking / turn signal lights & of course the grill & headlight assemblies. I dont think the fenders are different?   Looks like about a $1500.00 upgrade so far..

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:27:25 AM »
Heartbeat City sells Rally Sport conversion kits for '67 - '69 Camaros.  Here's the one for a '68:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Camaro-RS-Complete-RallySport-Changeover-Kit_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34207QQitemZ230098696438QQtcZphoto

Paul

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:10:26 AM »
The lower valance does not have to be changed for the 67.  You can cut your existing non RS to accomodate the front lights.  You need the headlight buckets, the RS fender adaptors, the relays, motors and wiring, 4 limit switches and an underdash wiring diode harness to adapt your headlight switch.  The one thing I found out the hard way was that the limit switches are one way.  Even though they look exactly alike, the wires have electric in and out wires so to speak.  I could not figure out why my system didn't work when I did the conversion as I have everything correct.  Finally, I revesed the limit switches and everything worked fine.  If you need any additional info, email me and I will answer your question.  I converted my entire system and when done, looked perfect.

Steve

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:22:10 AM »
Also to make the RS conversion complete you need to put the backup lights in the lower tailpanel, change the taillight wiring to an RS harness, cut the holes to run the backup lights and change out the tail light lenses.

Don't forget the 6 piece RS trim.

Rick H.

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 02:30:34 AM »
Thanks for the replys. I actually put the 6 piece RS trim on it about 20 years ago. I just like the looks of the RS trim & front end. I have several cars and I seem to get sidetracked allot on different projects so this one is a long time desire Im starting to put some $$ & time towards. I have a few things left to do to my Corvette and then the Camaro is getting a face lift.. I have had the car for 22 years and plan to pass it down to my son when Im gone so I not trying to pass off the car as an RS to anyone I just want it the way I want it.  You know?

dab67

• 67 SS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 11:02:43 AM »
[Steve:  is there a template for the front valance lights? I have seen ones for the rear valance but not the front.dab67
The lower valance does not have to be changed for the 67.  You can cut your existing non RS to accomodate the front lights.  You need the headlight buckets, the RS fender adaptors, the relays, motors and wiring, 4 limit switches and an underdash wiring diode harness to adapt your headlight switch.  The one thing I found out the hard way was that the limit switches are one way.  Even though they look exactly alike, the wires have electric in and out wires so to speak.  I could not figure out why my system didn't work when I did the conversion as I have everything correct.  Finally, I revesed the limit switches and everything worked fine.  If you need any additional info, email me and I will answer your question.  I converted my entire system and when done, looked perfect.

Steve

[/quote]

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:42:02 AM »
In my opinion I would just buy the reproduction lower valance. It's not that expensive and is easy to change. You'll probably be repainting anyways so why not just change out the valance and save the hassle of measuring, taping cutting etc...

Go for it.

Rick H.

shore-power

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 02:47:08 AM »
Yeah the lower valance is fairly cheap $$.  Thats what I had planed to do.  thanks.