Author Topic: James D. Patterson, anyone remember him?  (Read 10949 times)

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
James D. Patterson, anyone remember him?
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:15:17 PM »
Anyone remember or have any dealings with Jim Patterson? He was Director of Club Racing in the SCCA. He was employed there between 1965 - 1971.

- Warren

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: James D. Patterson, anyone remember him?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 05:09:52 PM »
Here is Warren Malkin's '69 4-wheel disc Camaro Z28 as seen at the recent MCACN car show in Rosemont, IL.  This is one of the original 206 built by Chevrolet with the JL-8 option and was bought brand new by Jim Patterson, director of club racing for the SCCA back in the '60s and '70s.  The SCCA decal in the rear window is the original placed there by Jim Patterson back in the day. Very cool of Warren to bring this car to the show to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the '69 Camaros and to show off some of the very rare pieces that were homologated for the Z28 to keep it competitive and successful. Besides the rare 4-wheel discs, it features an NOS GM fiberglass hood with the super rare 1x4bbl adapter on the bottom side, a rare snorkel-less air cleaner so that all air came through the ducted hood (with no flapper valve), a real GM prop rod, and correct for '69 Camaro hood pins with glue on scratch plates. Very neat piece of history and awesome car, Warren.
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 05:12:01 PM »
More pics...
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 05:14:06 PM »
More pics...
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 05:17:43 PM »
More pics...
Jon Mello
CRG

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 05:20:40 PM »
More pics...
Jon Mello
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 09:05:01 PM »
Holy smokes! Thanks Jon!
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 09:23:36 PM »
You're welcome, Bryon.  Here's a shot of the prop rod for the hood coming through the backside of the core support.
Jon Mello
CRG

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 09:36:00 PM »
Pretty cool car Warren....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:43:31 PM »
I will have to hook up my new large PC monitor tomorrow to view these pics. Looking on my phone does them no justice.

Not sure I have ever seen a prop rod like that. Super cool.

I would love to see the 1970 article in its entirety.

A truly epic car Warren. 👍
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »
Jon,
WOW! Fantastic looking Z. Thanks for sharing.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2019, 02:56:13 AM »
Not sure how I missed this thread until now.... but thanks for posting these pictures Jon. What a great car you have there Warren!
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 05:57:42 AM »
You're welcome, Tim.  Glad you enjoyed it.

Warren wanted me to say that he inadvertently mounted the hood pins in the incorrect orientation.  The pins mounted in the radiator core support should be turned 90 degrees from how they are so that they are in a 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock orientation.  This way the torsion clips attached to the lanyards go through the hole in the pin from the side.  This provides even pressure on the hood.  In the other position, due to the slope of the hood, there would be more pressure on the hood at the back of the scuff plate and little to no pressure on the front.
Jon Mello
CRG

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 06:38:51 PM »
Thanks to all for the nice comments and thanks Jon for taking the pictures and posting them.

I tried to get all the details correct when adding the NOS GM fiberglass ducted hood and as Jon says, I inadvertently indexed the hood pin holes in the incorrect position. I indexed the hood pin holes in the six and twelve o'clock position as that is the way Chevelle pins are and the original hood installation instructions did not mention positioning, other than where to drill the radiator support hole.

After I returned from MCACN I found a sheet of paper in my files that shows a blueprint for the lanyards and a cutaway side shot of the fiberglass hood with the hood pin hole installation in the nine and three o'clock position. When the car comes out of storage in the Spring, I will change their position.

I was in contact before the show with Hugh Patterson who still lives in Iowa. He is Jim's brother (the original owner) and was with him when he bought the car new at Schukei Motors in Waterloo. Unfortunately Hugh said because he is older, he tends to take it easy now and would not be able to make it. I totally understand.

Hugh was telling me he has some pictures of Jim standing next to the Z/28 when new. He is going to send me copies and I will get them posted when I receive them.

The snorkel-less air cleaner base on the car is NOS GM. It is a flat bottom base like the ZL2 hood air cleaner base. The 1 X 4 adapter plate bolted to the hood is in used condition and came from my now deceased friend Frank Profeta's estate. Frank taught me a lot about the rare Chevrolet Heavy Duty parts used with the '69 Z/28. Frank purchased the adapter plate from John Gummer of Dayton, Ohio around Sept. of 1988. Prior to that John Gummer had loaned it out to have a limited run of reproductions made. I believe a place called Team 69 made them. Someday I will verify that through old Camaro magazines and possibly HMN from that time frame.

The prop rod was well thought out by the GM engineers. In the down position, because of the slight bend on the top end, it locks into place under the radiator support edge.

I feel the 1 X 4 hood setup I have added to the Z/28 makes it more of a Trans/Am street car than a track car that uses the crossram unit. At least my car can be driven and enjoyed.

- Warren

Trans Åm

• CA Central valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2020, 06:51:40 AM »
I am not asking about prices or brash things such as that, but i simply want to know: How and where in the heck did you manage to find a genuine NOS fiberglass cowl induction hood for a '69 Z28?

I am absolutely dumbfounded. and shocked.....
Nick

anything