Author Topic: eBay "Reconditioned Engine"  (Read 2090 times)

Petes L48

• View Profile
eBay "Reconditioned Engine"
« on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »
I suppose we'll start seeing these show up in cars, whose current or unknowing future owners will swear it's original to the car.  eBay seller cornhuskers 

1967 Camaro SS 350 ci, 295 hp, Reconditioned Engine, V1122MS, No VIN stamping

Stamping:  The engine assembly stamping on this engine was done by myself and is a correct copy of the stamping done by GM with simulated broach marks.  I have been doing these stampings (mostly Corvettes) for nearly 40 years and my previous stampings have passed literally hundreds of NCRS judging inspections, Bloomington Gold judging, and the scrutiny of major auctions over all these past years.  As far as I know, engine assembly stamping is totally legal in all 50 states but not to be confused with VIN stamping.  Even with my record, can I absolutely guarantee that this stamping will pass any and all judging, NO, because judging is subjective.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Camaro-SS-350-ci-295-hp-Reconditioned-Engine-V1122MS-No-VIN-stamping/264420236850?hash=item3d90ac9e32:g:x~sAAOSwDJFdSyFf

HOT3O2

• View Profile
Re: eBay "Reconditioned Engine"
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 04:24:09 PM »
That’s scary.
Rick
69 RS/Z28

Z282NV

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 06:15:20 PM »
hmmmmm...so why date stamp the engine first and narrow down the number of people looking for that date range? Bragging about his ability to even fool the experts for over 40 years can't be that smart or else he would offer to date stamp after the sale has been made or offer to do it in not such a public way.
Joe
69 Camaro

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 07:28:18 PM »
hmmmmm...so why date stamp the engine first and narrow down the number of people looking for that date range? Bragging about his ability to even fool the experts for over 40 years can't be that smart or else he would offer to date stamp after the sale has been made or offer to do it in not such a public way.
   I suspect it is to keep the (new) stamped engine assembly date close to the casting dates. Assembled engines can sit on a rack from a short period of days to several weeks or months, depending on the popularity of the motor before a VIN is struck into them.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored