Author Topic: 396 oil gauge line routing and fittings  (Read 6372 times)

camaro cat

• View Profile
Re: 396 oil gauge line routing and fittings
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 07:13:30 PM »
I finally did what I said I would do. This is what I have and I have learned a few things and also raised some more questions. All this over a couple of small diameter tubes and some brass fittings. First, I was surprised at how long the Nylon Hose Asm. #3921433is at 61.5 inches. Is it possible this NOS replacement piece is actually this long to fit multiple applications on a wide variety of GM vehicles as a hose is a hose and they all likely use the same size fittings? This Hose uses the same brass ferrules on both ends but is different than the ones used on the steel pipe.

The Steel Pipe Asm. #3954225 is exactly 8 inches long and uses 2 different style ferrules on the 2 ends the wedge-shaped ferrule goes to the upside into the fitting that attaches with bracket #3954228. This brass fitting does not have a part # in the AIM so it must come with either the Hose Asm. or Pipe Asm. and I suspect it belongs with the Pipe Asm. as this is a BB only part. The solid wider hex part of the fitting needs to go to the bottom to match up with the wedge-shaped ferrule on the Steel Pipe Asm. The thinner brass nut is on top and tightens against bracket 3954228.

The Bushing #444030 listed in the AIM must only be used on L35 & L34 blocks as mine is a much larger size to screw into the block as mine is for an L78. Does anybody know if this is correct and if so what the correct pn# is for that piece? It looks to me that the AIM is incorrect in how this is visually drawn. The AIM lists a Bushing #444030 & Elbow #444052 which in reality looks to be accomplished by 1 piece. Also, the drawing for how the Steel Pipe attaches to the Elbow looks backward to me.

I've taken pictures but they all need to be resized and it looks to me like all the important information is already here except I'll see if I can post the different L78 Bushing.

Loren
Loren
1967 RS L30 10C LOS
1969 SS/RS L78 02D NOR

HawkX66

• View Profile
Re: 396 oil gauge line routing and fittings
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 07:35:39 PM »
I finally did what I said I would do. This is what I have and I have learned a few things and also raised some more questions. All this over a couple of small diameter tubes and some brass fittings. First, I was surprised at how long the Nylon Hose Asm. #3921433is at 61.5 inches. Is it possible this NOS replacement piece is actually this long to fit multiple applications on a wide variety of GM vehicles as a hose is a hose and they all likely use the same size fittings? This Hose uses the same brass ferrules on both ends but is different than the ones used on the steel pipe.

The Steel Pipe Asm. #3954225 is exactly 8 inches long and uses 2 different style ferrules on the 2 ends the wedge-shaped ferrule goes to the upside into the fitting that attaches with bracket #3954228. This brass fitting does not have a part # in the AIM so it must come with either the Hose Asm. or Pipe Asm. and I suspect it belongs with the Pipe Asm. as this is a BB only part. The solid wider hex part of the fitting needs to go to the bottom to match up with the wedge-shaped ferrule on the Steel Pipe Asm. The thinner brass nut is on top and tightens against bracket 3954228.

The Bushing #444030 listed in the AIM must only be used on L35 & L34 blocks as mine is a much larger size to screw into the block as mine is for an L78. Does anybody know if this is correct and if so what the correct pn# is for that piece? It looks to me that the AIM is incorrect in how this is visually drawn. The AIM lists a Bushing #444030 & Elbow #444052 which in reality looks to be accomplished by 1 piece. Also, the drawing for how the Steel Pipe attaches to the Elbow looks backward to me.

I've taken pictures but they all need to be resized and it looks to me like all the important information is already here except I'll see if I can post the different L78 Bushing.

Loren
The L78 is different from the L34 and L35. See the attached pics that are like the one you posted. The 61" nylon line makes sense as it needs to reach the console gauges through the hole in the firewall on the U17 option like the picture I posted.
Dave
69 SS396 X66 L34 M21 BS
Z23 711 U17 Hugger Orange
Semper Fi!