Author Topic: Dual Fuel Lines  (Read 24358 times)

tim69camaro

• View Profile
Dual Fuel Lines
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:22:53 AM »
Do any 1969 L35 (396, 325 hp) have a single fuel line? I believe I have a 1969 RS/SS and everything seems to check out except the lack of dual fuel lines. It does not have any evidence of dual lines at the sender or along the attachment points under the body.

Also this is great site with a lot of information. I greatly appreciate all the hard work that goes into develping and maintaining it.
Tim Bailey

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Fuel Lines
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 10:32:52 AM »
Nope, the only big block with a single fuel line is the L78.  The other two (L34, L35) have two fuel lines.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »
Is there a reason someone would change the fuel line and tank sending unit? The car was modified significantly in the 1970's with aftermarket aluminum intake, headers, holley carb., etc.. It seems like a lot of trouble to go to remove the lines and replace them with an original looking single line. Everything else appears valid including JG engine code and block casting # 3955272. Any other thoughts?
Tim Bailey

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:35:29 AM »
No reason, most people don't give the fuel lines a second look.  Every small block except the LM1 and L48 and both the L34, and L35, have a single fuel line.  It's much more likely that the engine is not original than to find an L35 with a single fuel line.  When was the engine assembled?  How about the stampings on the tag on the pasenger side of the TH400 transmission.  Whats the rear axle ratio, and assembly code on the rear axle?  On the front end, where is the bracket for the front disc brakes rubber lines going to the wheels, on the top of the frame, or on the side?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 03:07:35 AM »
I assume this is the date stamped on the right front. It reads T1130TG which would be Nov. 30 1968? The block date cast date code is K 1 8. I am not certain the heads are original as they have a date code of K 29 8. Would it be odd for the engine to be assembled the following day? I am very new to these codes and only know what I see on CRG. The transmission was replaced in 1980 when I purchased the car, my dad later discarded it. No one seemed to mind changing anything else from original so I would be suprised it someone went to the effort of restamping the VIN on the block. The rear axle ratio was 3.07:1 the guy I brought the car from gave me the original ring and pinion. It has 4.11:1 right now. I can't find the rear end codes written down anywhere, I will have to get it from the car later. I have never paid attention to the location of the brake line bracket, I will check that also. Thanks.
Tim Bailey

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 04:23:14 PM »
Block cast on nov 1 1968 assembled on Nov 30th 68 with November 29th cast heads.  Yes blocks and heads can be cast on one day and assembled into a motor the next, or even the same day if they were cast early in the day and assembled late in the day so thats not to odd.  So can we assume that this would be a 12A Norwood car (Is it a Norwood Car?) at the earliest?  3.07 is one of the standard small Block SS axles (economy, I beleive) as that is what I have in my car.  Not sure if it was one of the standard ratios for a big block or not though.

Have you looked for a crayon marking on the front of the rear package support, behind the back seat?  You may find an X code back there, like X1, X2 or a combination of exterior color and X code together like RG2 for Rally green X22.  The codes were pretty common in the November time frame on Norwood cars anyway.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

tim69camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 12:59:09 AM »
Thanks Mark.

First to answer the remaining questions from the prior post. I checked a few things tonight. The rear axle BR 1130G1 it has an E below. BR so that is a 3.07 positive traction 12 bolt, all checks. 1130 November 30th which also seems to check to the date of my car. G=Detroit, 1=first shift and E=Eaton positive traction unit. The front brake line brackets are on top of the frame.

I also looked at the heater core and verified the hose exit location for a big block.

Yes, it is a 12A Norwood car. I will need to remove the back seat and check for x codes, I don't recall anything like that from previous times the seat was out.
Tim Bailey

BillG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 01:28:15 AM »
Mark, He stated that among other things the carb was replaced with a Holly.  Would that make it necessary to replace two fuel lines with one and the sending unit too, or could you keep and use both lines?
Bill Garrett

jay j

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 03:49:45 AM »
i have a car that sould have a single fuel line, but it have two
 my car was modified significantly  with aftermarket aluminum intake, headers heads, by the original owner a few years  after he  got the car new  maybe he owned both our camaros and switch the fuel lines
maybe
jay

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 03:21:01 PM »
Mark, He stated that among other things the carb was replaced with a Holly.  Would that make it necessary to replace two fuel lines with one and the sending unit too, or could you keep and use both lines?

When that swap is made, most folks just cap off the front end of the return line; no other changes are necessary.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jay j

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 06:09:47 PM »
john,
my car haves two lines but the tank only haves one sending line
so what's the possibility for that

jay

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 08:07:04 PM »
Mark: What is the significance of the location of the front brake line brackets, top or side?
Thks.:
Sam

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
Here is pic of the disc brake clamp, the metal piece on the hose is about midway along the length of the hose. The clamp uses 2 holes in the A frame to secure it. One for the bolt and the other for a tab thats part of the clamp itself.

Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

jay j

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 11:54:01 PM »
mark you say that It's much more likely that the engine is not original than to find an L35 with a single fuel line.
it only takes 20 minutes to take the return line out maybe some one didn't like to cap the line,
maybe  they wanted a good job, i find your answer a little hard to believe you cant make that statement when you didnt even take the fact that it had mods done to it
you guys must remember back when these cars was new they didn't buy them because they was classics or because they was going to be worth allot of money, not even in the 80s did  any one think this
they didn't, think No! i better not change any thing to the car its not going to be worth $50-80-K in 40  years from now,  or that some guy on CRG is going to say its not original
in fact if you was to tell them back in the day that your car is going to be worth 50k they would tell you  that your  stupid to say the least

they got these cars to be driving and yes race,yha allot of cars got engine swoops but they also got carburetors changed, engines blew up and at the time of repairs they might of don eall kinds of mods and yes some people was going to put a holley  on none holley cars and same people was going to put a Quadra jet on none Quadra jet cars  to save on gas remember gas in the 70s was a short
so to tell this guy that, is not right when the fact is people done many deferent things to their cars for 

i fund the original owner of my car and he showd me a few pics of the car when he first got it, it was and happy to say it is a  real z he ghanged the carb to a quad becouse it was a better on gas and it was better on race day
all i'm saying is dont juge a car base just  on factory, but on what may have  been done by owners also
after all is siad and done must cars from the sixty are not all original
owners of these cars  was mod crazy
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 03:50:39 AM by jay j »

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 04:15:18 PM »
Thanks for the photo Click (Jim). I have an 01D LA car and it is set up like this. I had thought only drum brake cars had the bkts. on the top of the frame.
Sam