Author Topic: partial vin stampings  (Read 2648 times)

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
partial vin stampings
« on: July 19, 2019, 02:40:54 AM »
I know Ihave read this somewhere.  Just wanting to clarify the procedure.

Obviously, the engine assembly code was stamped at Flint or Tonowanda.

The partial vin was stamped at LA or Norwood AFTER the engine and trans were assigned to a particular car.

Were the two units (engine and trans) then stamped twice with the same gang stamper set up?

If so, wouldn't the fonts on the partials always be exactly the same?  I realize there was some play in the gang stamper (I have seen more than one with one digit a little high or low) but at least the fonts of the "N" would always be the same.  Same for the "9" for 1969 model years, and so on all the way through the partial.

Am I off base?

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: partial vin stampings
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:45:30 AM »
From what I have read and seen, the engine and transmission VIN were stamped with the same stamper at the same time.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »
I've read several threads where it is suggested by well-informed members that factory stamps have been known to differ between the trans and the block. No idea on production timeframe where this has been observed, or why, but unlikely to be discussed openly.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:05:34 PM »
Some '69s have VIN stampings that differ.

http://www.camaros.org/enginedress.shtml

Learning more and more about less and less...

lynnbilodeau

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 08:41:13 PM »
Thanks William:

"Most of the time, the same VIN gang-stamp was used for both the engine and transmission VIN stamps, but some 1969 vehicles have the engine and tranmission VIN stamps applied with different gang-stamps. It is unknown why this occurred."

Seems like an incredible waste of time to load up TWO gang stamps for one engine/trans set up; especially considering that they had to change out a number or two for the very next engine/trans combo.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 11:37:46 PM »
Efficient tool and time use would dictate having at least 2 gang holders -one immediate use and have another being prepped -
Stamp trans
stamp block,
check...
block stamp legible?
if block stamp is illegible***
return current gang pick up gang for the next vin but changed to current...
The returned defective current reloaded to next vin... (could explain why some are seen with either the next or previous car's vin on the trans as well as differing gang stamps with same engine trans vins)

As a measure The trans should never have an issue with characters being differing heights in the gang stamp... the engine blocks on the rough surface... that is entirely different.

I am going to go out on a limb here and taken an educated (I stayed at Holiday Inn... j/k - but I did take a 90 minute class at the NCRS National event this week on Broach pads and Assembly Stamps) guess why this could be.... the rough area near the oil filter boss is DIFFICULT to stamp into, CAST IRON... and is not very level, repeated heavy blows against such surfaces could cause irregular wear to characters as well as the GANG holders and Spring pins causing another gang holder being required to complete the task. 

***We think many of the block stamps are illegible, however they were stamping on the rough surface which was FRESH ORANGE PAINT - a fresh strike in fresh paint will leave a shiny impression which today could appear as nearly invisible.***
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 04:28:57 PM »
At this time the pads were masked with tape before paint.

GUESS - failed engine at final start up would need to be replaced.  Likely those situations would have different gang holder load.

Just a thought.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »
The pads were masked HOWEVER the oil filter boss was not... .
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa