Author Topic: Car Lift  (Read 11422 times)

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
Car Lift
« on: June 14, 2019, 01:42:19 PM »
Boys,
What brand car lift are you using? Bendpak two or four post? Considering buying one after all these years…what do you guys recommend. Thanks in advance.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Car Lift
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 01:56:13 PM »
I have both.  I purchased a 'Superior' 4-post many years ago to get an additional 'parking place' in my garage.  It works for such 'double parking' IF you have sufficient ceiling height.  Mine worked for two Corvettes but not for anything taller.  The only 'work' I've been able to do using the 4-post is to remove/install C4 Corvette exhaust, which come right down the center of the car adjacent to the driveshaft.

A couple of years ago I purchased a 2-post (Atlas 8000) which is a good inexpensive lift.  I've used it for practically everything for the past 2 yrs while building a custom '57 Nomad.  I probably had the body up/down off the frame 2 dozen times.  If you want to WORK on the underside of your car, from wheels/tires/brakes to exhaust etc, the two post is the way to go IMO.

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »
I've had my Mohawk 2 post lift for over 15 years.  With an 8 ft. garage ceiling, the wife's car can still fit between the hanging down wheels.
A 4 post would never allow that. - - No, I can't stand completely upright underneath, so I use a reclining office chair - works just fine.  :D

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »
 The last time I had a cat on my car, it left a claw mark in the clear coat on the fender (must have been when it jumped up and used its hind legs to climb). I had to scuff & re-clear the whole fender.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

R68GTO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 12:28:57 AM »
I have a Bendpak HD9-XW.  Selected a lift, then built my garage around it lol.  14 foot ceiling height so I can raise my car all the way up with the hood open and still clear the lights on the ceiling.  Can get my 1/2 ton pickup underneath it.  Also bought an air-powered lift jack to make wheel work easy with a 4 post lift.  The lift is by far the best tool I ever bought.
1969 427 COPO Camaro Lemans Blue/Black, M22 4 speed, 15,500 original miles

BillOhio

• View Profile
    • photobucket
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2019, 02:47:15 AM »
I just bought a challenger 9000 pound 4 post. My dealer sold them and bend pak.  He said they had better luck with warrantee issues and getting parts with challenger. They are in Louisville Ky.  About the biggest difference I could see, bendpak needs an air supply to release the locks, the challenger has a lever.  I believe both need to be held until the lift is clear down. I dont have a compressor on all the time so this worked out ok.  Bendpak does have a device that is supposed to pump a bit of air as it goes up and store it. The salesman told me after I had bought mine, that the installers didnt like the device.  Not sure why.  They wanted 850 to deliver and assemble mine and a friend and I did it ourselves. We had a bit of a snag but wasnt bad after we got it moved in the building. It is heavy and we used a skid loader. 
1969 Z28, Burgandy, numbers matching, 12,900 miles
1968 RS 327 4 speed
1970 Z28 M22 4:10 bought from original owner
1961 Chrysler 300G convertible

crossboss

• ^ New engine project
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2019, 01:58:10 PM »
Boys,
I appreciate everyone's input! Looks like the two post is for me…this way I can lift my car, and do some work with wheels, tires, suspension, etc not installed.
Just another T/A fanatic. Current lifelong projects:
1968 Olds 442 W-30
1969 Mustang Fastback w a Can-Am 494 (Boss 429)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
I got a 12000# 2 post we pulled out of a closed Cadillac dealership. With 12' ceilings, just cleared, we set up between the joists.easy job for me and three buddies. Have to look at the paperwork, as the shop painted all the lifts red, but Bendpak rings a bell. I like the cross brace at top which tie the posts together. Also pulled out a 1200# hydro trans jack, which has way more uses then just trans work. AND four tripod screw jacks. Strongly reccomend those for stability. They also come in real handy doing suspension work . And serve to keep the wheels from free hanging while the cars stored. I use cardboard on the pads also for added underbody finish protection. My old f250 doesn't get that special treatment, lol. You will need , or makes the job way easier, a rotohammer drill motor for the wedge anchors. My 1/2 " Milwaukee worked great. My buddy brought his shim kit over to get the posts perfect. Only talking maybe a few thousandth off,mine was anyway probably not a must. But nice to have if you need them.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2019, 12:10:59 AM »
I have both a two and four post. I love the 4 post and hate the 2. 90% of needing the car up in the air for me is routine stuff that a 4 post handles just fine. For most other things including removing wheels I have a sliding jack that will lift the front or rear off the ground quickly. I just hate having to make sure you have the car in just the right spot with the two post. You end up getting down on your knees numerous time getting the arms in the right spot. Four post I just drive right on. My back is junk so I'm kinda biased as I don't work on stuff as much anymore.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2019, 01:02:04 AM »
Have a 2 post, 7000 lb. need to look at the name. It was used very little before I got it and still is used very little. If you buy used contact the manuf. and get installation instructions before you do anything. Mine only required 5 inches of concrete under the feet. I put about 10 and got 9 inch anchors, 3/4 diameter. Easy to install, don't be scared.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2019, 01:04:36 PM »
We use mostly Rotary asymmetrical two posts at work all day, probably the best. We also have a Challenger asymmetrical that gets constant use and I feel like it's as good as anything out there and possibly a little easier to set a car or truck on than the Rotary. The Challenger has round, screw type feet with rubber pads.
I installed a Rotary two post in-ground lift at home because I got a deal and I dislike the clutter of an above ground lift in a small garage. I realize that's not very practical for most.

John.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »
Found the paperwork: Forward
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2019, 05:49:36 PM »
I also like being able to roll the 4 post lift outside if I want to pressure wash the underside of the car.

jacmac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Ive had a 4 post for about 6-7yrs.I feel better with a 4 post but dont quite have as much access.
Backyard buddy.
69 Z10,69 ss396Chevelle, 71 Corvette

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »
If you are working on or planning on restoring a car two post are the only way to go! with easy access to all mechanical parts.