Author Topic: Wire routing  (Read 10374 times)

68Zproject

• View Profile
Wire routing
« on: March 10, 2007, 10:35:42 PM »
When I bought my 68Z it had some things wrong on it.  I bought a lot of books including AIM.  My questions are:  On the driver's side inner fender, there are two plastic straps positioned in vertical holes in the fender about a foot apart.  It had the washer hose being held by these.  In the AIM I dont' see these or the hose and the front light harness shows to be routed between the inner and outer fender.  I have seen some pics of engine bays with the wiring harness and washer hose held to inner fender with these straps.  Which is correct?  PS Mine is not an RS.
68Z28

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wire routing
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 11:42:47 PM »
The front lighting harness goes under those two straps, it doesn't go between the inner and outer fenders (at least in 69's).  In the 69 AIM its shown on UPC 12 A4, which says its for an L6 but every car was built that way.  The only difference is on the V8's (in 69) the generator harness is on the passenger side.
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

JohnKY

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:08:09 AM »
On a 68, the harness does go between the inner and outer fender (UPC 12, A9). The washer hose runs along with the harness, and is strapped to it in two places (UPC 1, A5)

RonM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 01:48:57 AM »
It might depend on where the car was built. My "68" Norwood car has the front lighting harness routed between the inner and outer fenders. However a friend's very original Los Angles "68" has the front lighting harness routed through the two straps. Hope this helps, RonM.

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 02:57:53 AM »
It does.  Mine is an LA build and that would explain it.  I have seen pictures where it is in those straps and the harness, straps and fender are original.  I guess I just wondered if it was the harness and hose or just hose.  For now I think I'll put both there.  I can always change it.  Thanks again.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:59:58 AM by 68Zproject »
68Z28

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:12:13 AM »
I hate to throw a wrench in the works, but my 02C Los Angeles built '68Z has the "front lighting harness*" routed between the inner and outer fenders.  My Z has the Rally Sport (RS) option, so maybe that it why it's different.  The three vacuum hoses (one from the intake manifold and two from the headlight switch) for the RS equipment are within the "two vertical plastic straps".  These two "straps" are mounted approximately 8.75" apart (center to center) on the inner fender.  Also supported in the front "strap" (the one closest to the radiator support) is the sub harness for the wiring to the alternator and cylinder head mounted temperature switch.  Below and offset to these two straps are two more straps.  These two lower straps are single hole mounted "loop straps" mounted approximately 8.625" apart (center to center) on the inner fender.  These two lower straps support the windshield washer reservoir hose and nothing else.

* This front lighting harness on my car also includes wiring to the engine (alternator, temperature switch), brake switch, horns, horn relay, voltage regulator, etc. and is mounted to the outer fender (on the inside) with two white  plastic clips.  One of these clips is located below the left hood hinge and the other above the RS tank vacuum relay valve.  Hope this helps.   :)

Paul              

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 07:41:04 AM »
Here's an 11,000 mile Los Angeles built '68 (non RS) with the "wiring harness" inside the straps:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=007&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=170090754137&rd=1&rd=1

It appears the routing varies with options.   8)

Paul  

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 01:43:59 PM »
That may well be an 11,000 mile car but it is no way a good indicator of how they were built... the whole engine compartment has been refurbished on that car... the hood latch is black painted, the inner fenders have been repainted as have the brakelines been painted black... the engine has been repainted the exhaust manifolds have been painted with cast iron paint... IMHO the originality of the engine compartment has been greatly jeopardized and it would take some very careful attention and lots of work to bring it back to the way it left the factory....
BTW... 68's with white interior had white handled knobs... not black...
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:53:42 PM »
Yep, that 11,000 mile car is probably not a good example.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:09:01 AM »
I don't remember where I've seen all the pics but I had seen some with the routing like that pic of the white Camaro and the AIM only showed the behind the fender picture, that's why I asked I guess.  I can only assume because I have original fenders and these holes don't look drilled that they where there to hold something.  I would "guess" since I haven't yet seen just the hose being held by these two straps that it's an: either the harness and hose go in them or they both go behind the fender?  I wonder if anyone knows if it is just one of those "some were done this way and some were done that way" or is there a reason for the different routing?  Mine is a non RS Z and I have few options, AM radio, console w/guages, tach, some trim and that's about it, if that makes any difference.  Also, on that white car, is that master cylinder what came in a camaro without Z28?  Mine had that on it and I could tell someone had replaced the mc and I just wondered what that kind is for?  Thanks much!
68Z28

anything