Author Topic: Help with Identifying 1969 Hugger Orange SS 396 Poss. L78 Camaro with L89 option  (Read 9763 times)

Maxsg1973

• View Profile
Hello CRG Team,
I have an opportunity to buy a 1969 Camaro and it may be a L78 car.
My question: Is anyone familiar with this car? The current owner has a display board claiming it to be a L78 car with the L89 option. I have yet to inspect the car and have made arrangements to view the car this week. I’m trying to get some community help and see if anyone may have the original Jerry MacNeish report or know the history of this car? I have a feeling (Jerry MacNeish) was listing the RPO on the Certificate of Authenticity if it was verified in 2013 but I'm not sure if that's the case. This certificate only says SS396. Somefeed back on that too would be great. The current owner said it would be $1600 to get a copy of the original report and I have not verified that as of yet but may be accurate. Owner has no other documents. I am aware of the many incorrect items in the engine bay from examining the engine bay picture but I am not an expert by any means.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 08:37:40 AM by Maxsg1973 »

bertfam

• View Profile
I suggest you get in touch with Jerry. Also, have the current owner show you the second page (and subsequent, if any) which will tell you exactly what Jerry found when he did the inspection.

Jerry's contact information is on his WEB PAGE.

Ed

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
That first page of Jerry's report means nothing other than he inspected it. You need to see the meat of the report on the subsequent pages.
How convenient the seller has lost the rest of the report. If I was the seller and the car was even near real, you can bet I would have the full report available as it would add more than the cost of the report.
Looks to early for an X code. Aluminum water pump tells me it was built to owners wishes rather than back to factory.
I also recognize the back ground and all the old guys in it. That's Pavilions in Scottsdale AZ. Guaranteed if that was real they would know about it on The Supercar Registry (yenko.net).
Even if it's not real, they will know about it. Most are retired and go there every week and have probably seen it a hundred times.
Opportunity you say? Is it a dealer car?

maroman

• View Profile
There was a car just like this in central Pa. about 20 years ago. Could this be it?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
How convenient to lose the report and keep the certificate. A copy of the report isn't that much...
Came out of FL, then CT.
Use to have a restamped JH block, so it sure can't be an original L89 block.
124379N555742
Kurt S
CRG

Maxsg1973

• View Profile
Hello Gentleman,
Thank you for your advise it is much appreciated.
I did mention in the original post that is the only document the current owner has other than the title. I will take your advise and call Jerry MacNeish before viewing the car.
The pictures of the car where taken at the Pavilions in Scottsdale by me before I knew the current owner would decide to offer the car to me for purchase.
The current owner is not a dealer to my knowledge.
Based on the VIN the car is a December built car and may be a close to 12B (second week of December) build week, when I do the numbers it may have an X code on the trim tag (X22  SS396 / X66  SS396). I feel it's a 12A (no X codes) car from my limited experience in doing the math that I don't really know how to do Haha. But then how did Jerry know its a SS396? It may have an X code. Haha. I also believe it should be a JJ Engine Suffix Code if its a real L78 with the L89 option.
I did happen to meet a gentleman by the name of Larry C. at the Pavilions that is very knowledgeable about Camaros and I do understand he has seen the car out there. I will reach out to him as well and see what he may understand about the car.
I've been looking for a L78 for a little bit so I've seen lots of creative advertising and descriptions of cars for sale.
If anyone else wants to add anymore information or knows anything about the car that would be great.
Thank you

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
Hello Gentleman,
Thank you for your advise it is much appreciated.
I did mention in the original post that is the only document the current owner has other than the title. I will take your advise and call Jerry MacNeish before viewing the car.
The pictures of the car where taken at the Pavilions in Scottsdale by me before I knew the current owner would decide to offer the car to me for purchase.
The current owner is not a dealer to my knowledge.
Based on the VIN the car is a December built car and may be a close to 12B (second week of December) build week, when I do the numbers it may have an X code on the trim tag (X22  SS396 / X66  SS396). I feel it's a 12A (no X codes) car from my limited experience in doing the math that I don't really know how to do Haha. But then how did Jerry know its a SS396? It may have an X code. Haha. I also believe it should be a JJ Engine Suffix Code if its a real L78 with the L89 option.
I did happen to meet a gentleman by the name of Larry C. at the Pavilions that is very knowledgeable about Camaros and I do understand he has seen the car out there. I will reach out to him as well and see what he may understand about the car.
I've been looking for a L78 for a little bit so I've seen lots of creative advertising and descriptions of cars for sale.
If anyone else wants to add anymore information or knows anything about the car that would be great.
Thank you
Everything you need to know is in reply #4 above your reply
I do NOT believe this car will have an X code based on its vin.
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

Maxsg1973

• View Profile
Understood. I did just hear back from a friend that has seen the car and to be polite I believe its an L89 clone. Thank you guys for your help!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 04:50:16 AM by KurtS »

1969CAMAN

• View Profile
None of the above information is based on facts. It's all speculation by people who have never reviewed/inspected the information or have viewed this car.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
If you want, post up some pics of the engine, transmission and axle stamps - and you will get some feedback.

:)
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68camaroz28

• View Profile
None of the above information is based on facts. It's all speculation by people who have never reviewed/inspected the information or have viewed this car.
Welcome aboard and as Bryon asked post some pics. Also JerryM report statement on findings would be based on facts. Again welcome aboard!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I do not agree with that characterization of the discussion.
If you want to clarify the situation, either post up Jerry's complete report and/or post the drivetrain stampings.

If you continue to contact members of this forum and harass them about this post, you will be banned. This is your one and only warning.
Kurt S
CRG

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
I confirmed with Jerry that he will send a copy of his report for $250. Cheaper than an inspection!
Kurt S
CRG

Kelley W King

• View Profile
That VIN is about 2,200 before my 12A with no X code. Probably in the "lost zone" dealer docs like mine.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

bergy

• View Profile
If that's the "L89" HO car that I'm familliar with - it has a repop TT.

anything