Author Topic: Spare Parts Search  (Read 3190 times)

Inigo

• View Profile
Spare Parts Search
« on: May 19, 2019, 06:07:14 AM »
Hi,
I am searching spare parts for starting the restoring process of my 1967 SS/RS.
I have seen several webpages but some of them apparently don’t offer good quality.
Could you please let me know what is the best and mist reliable online shop to source the spare parts I am missing?
Thanks a lot for your help!
Inigo

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: Spare Parts Search
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:50:08 AM »
A lot of the decisions depend on your restoration intentions and budget - concourse trailer queen to cosmetic restoration to safe driver.
Are you looking for assembly-line correct and dated parts only, good used GM take-offs, or would reproduction parts do?
NOS parts often differ from Assembly-line parts in appearance and quality of fit.
There are plenty of parts vendors for reproduction parts, but there's no one-for-all supplier and it's best to shop around for regular special offers, research the best recommendations for each area of the car being worked on, and (if you can) go and look at the parts before committing to buy. Return policies differ and should be understood. A good starting point is to order catalogs (usually free) from the major vendors, then you can sit back and look through them and compare prices - a list of parts you will need can be very helpful, especially if you cross them off on purchase to make sure you don't forget a major item (and avoid buying more than one.....).
You may well have done this before, but if not, I would strongly recommend you have a plan for your restoration, and a timeframe and a budget in mind. Work out what you can do yourself, what skills you'd like to learn (or improve), and what you will farm out to a professional. Get a good set of tools, organise your work area and take lots of photos; documenting the tear-down as thoroughly as possible can be invaluable during reassembly, and can also help preserve or mimic original factory details.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

67conv6cyl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 04:03:27 PM »
Hi Inigo,
I have been restoring a 67 that I have owned for twenty 29 years. I bought the car when I was in my early 20’s and have been restoring it the whole time! I bought the car with intent on doing a concourse level as left factory restoration. It is getting harder and harder to find as left factory original parts.....fortunately my car has original motor, transmission, alternator, starter driveshaft, and rear end.....I bought many parts cars and original parts over the years and spent much $.
It seems to me that the original parts supply of good quality parts is now dwindling. I am having a harder time getting the last few factory correct parts......Members of this forum have been a great help in showing pictures, educating me on what parts are correct and sometime helping to locate parts that I have thought I would never find.

Paul

rare396bronze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »
My best choice is Ebay and going to car shows where they have swap meet. Also call some of they vendor to see if they have any nos parts. Not a big fan of repro part's. Have bought many used part's cleaned them up and reused them in the past. Have seen were the parts are harder to find lately. Hope this helps!

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 09:17:57 PM »
Ebay is a good suggestion. I have no idea as to the availability of used parts in Peru, but I can assume that it's a lot tougher to find things than in the US, which as mentioned is getting worse as the years go on. There are a number of very good catalog houses stateside: some items are going to be best sourced as a reproduction unless you have an unlimited budget and a lot of time available to search for what you need. From the pics of the '67 you've shared, it appears to be a good candidate for restoring, with a lot of good parts onboard - everything else will depend on your level of restoration.

Keep posting as you go - there are a fair number of '67 enthusiasts here -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 11:25:49 PM »
Just be wary of descriptions in ebay listings - many parts listed as being 'correct' are in fact NOT correct, and some of the 'applications' are way off. Couple of days ago I saw a late model BMW part that was listed as 'fits 1969 Camaro'.....
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

Inigo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for their replies.
As it is a 1967 SS/RS I would like to restore it as close as possible to how it left the factory.
Don’t have a defined budget but will certainly spend what is needed if manage to find original spare parts.
I was hoping there were some providers specialized on camaro stock parts so I could do some big orders from abroad instead of arranging several small orders...
But it looks like I will depend on eBay...
Some used parts can be found in Peru but hardly in good shape
Most of mechanical parts are still in the car. Most of missing items are decorative ones like emblems, chromes, central dashboard, blinking lights, headlight bezels, etc but I know that the list will only increase...
Will keep you updated of the process
Cheers

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »
If shipping via eBay's global program costs anything like it does to ship items down here, then buying one part at a time is going to add up very quickly. Often a $20 part, like a bracket, costs over $30 to ship here, so the more items you buy and ship together, becomes more affordable. Obvious advantage of a major parts vendor is placing a big order in one go, but that's generally going to be reproduction items only.
Some vendors offer good used parts (Camaro Central in Kentucky and HeartBeatCity in Michigan spring to mind) but the prices are often eye-watering. I'd suggest joining the sYC forum at www.yenko.net as the classifieds there are a great way to find good used parts, and it's a great community too. You do have to be a paid member ($25/yr) to post in the classifieds.
There are services like https://www.myus.com that offer the ability to ship purchases to a US address and then have them re-packaged and forwarded overseas to make the cost more economical. I haven't used any myself, so would advise more research, but could be an option for you.
One final consideration, the quality of some reproduction emblems and other small parts (TrimParts and CHQ are notable manufacturers) can meet or exceed the OE for example on quality of chroming etc but many, myself included, would rather use GM originals wherever possible.
Tim in Australia.

Inigo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 11:43:40 AM »
Thanks Tim
For sure I will use as much original parts as possible. Many are still in the car and will be able to restore them too.
Thanks for the tips and links. That was what I was looking for.
Cheers
Inigo