Author Topic: Fold Down Rear Seat Panels  (Read 4634 times)

TangoBravo

• View Profile
Fold Down Rear Seat Panels
« on: May 16, 2019, 01:08:19 PM »
I have never been very clear on how the rear panels were handled on the fold down seat coupe applications. I realize they used the added on arm rests common to the convertible.
 I am unclear how the side panels were handled though. Were the quarter side panels full height and the arm rests put over them, or were they a foreshortened panel that was a different part? Or perhaps a cut off full panel?? Any difference deluxe vs standard interiors?

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
Re: Fold Down Rear Seat Panels
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
Depends on the year and interior options. 67 Deluxe interiors all got the armrest so the side panel is unique to that. On 67 standard interior and and 68 and 69's they were just regular side panels and the armrest was just added. Based on the few factory fold down cars i have looked at.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 04:06:35 AM »
68 model year with fold down rear seat is my interest.
 If the interior is standard, then the side panel is the regular standard panel? That panel has 2 chrome strips on it. Seems the lower one could interfere with the top of the arm rest when installed?? It seems that the factory would have to use the standard panel-- as none of the others would fit (convertible) or align properly (deluxe). Were the panels full height under the arm rests?
 If deluxe fold down, then it came with the regular deluxe side panels?? The deluxe regular rear seats came with arm rests also- but only have an upper chrome trim strip? Seems the arm rests would go over these ones well for either seat.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
The upper panel is a half panel. It has the chrome on that panel for deluxe. The lower panel is sheet metal with arm rests & ash trays. On the inside of the body there are 2 tabs welded to hold the screws for the lower panel. There is a 3rd part that goes from the upper half panel that goes toward the trunk divider. It's also stamped metal. I have some of this stuff in a shed. If I can find it I'll take some pictures to post.....Joe

Here's some on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-1967-1969-Delux-Fold-Down-Rear-Seat-Side-Panel-LH-Firebird-Single-J15804/143236502724?hash=item21598f94c4:g:YfMAAOSwu3Rcyhj7:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!85719!US!-1
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 11:34:32 AM »
Here is a pic (69 Deluxe) of the half panels and armrests.  You can see the screw holes for the filler panels.  The armrests are longer than convertible versions.

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 12:45:17 PM »
I am understanding the deluxe interior version well and thank you for the clarification. The biggest confusion is how the standard interior version might have been done. The side panel for a standard interior should ALSO have the lower removed--- so that it would not hit the 2 armrest forward tabs? Still unclear how the panel beneath the armrest, for standard trim version, would be-

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »
Only the deluxe interior gets the factory tabs with the short side panel. The standard interior does not get the factory tabs, so a full size side panel is used.

TangoBravo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:21:09 PM »
But when the fold down seat is specified, the arm rests and associated tabs are used. If it is a standard trim interior, it would necessitate a cut off standard panel--suspect this is what they did---
OR----Maybe they placed a deluxe rear side panel??? The chrome trim strip would not line up, the vinyl ribbing would not be present and it would look out of place.

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 02:17:50 PM »
I have never seen a fold down rear seat that did not have a deluxe interior.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 11:05:55 AM »
A fold down seat ordered with standard interior (it was possible!), would also have the cut down interior panels, like the ones shown. But the fold down seat was a pricey option, so did not get paired with a standard interior unless specifically ordered by a customer. 

Here is a picture of a 69 standard coupe qtr and a convertible one, which was also cut down for the armrest.  There is nothing that prevents the cut of the panel in either standard or deluxe panels. 

Now the 68 version is a little different then the 69s, but the cut line is in the same location. So here is a link and pic to a 68 convertible interior, the cut line for a convertible does not interfere with the lower stainless. So you should be good to go!
Hope this helps clarify the question!

https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/product/25861/1968-Camaro-Convertible-Standard-Interior-Assembled-Door-Panel-Kit-Black/

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 06:03:01 PM »
The questions I ask are about  the 1967 fold down seats.
What about the fold down seat being 8" too narrow? Without the deluxe armrest there would be a 4" gap on each side. Is there an 8" wider version of the fold down seat? Is there an RPO option for this fold down rear seat with armrests and standard interior?
I think you had to order the RPO Z87 option to be able to get the rear fold down seats in 67, not sure about 68 and 69.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 06:25:18 PM »
I'm not sure what you guys are asking, but the RPO A67 Fold Down rear seat was available all three years on any model, regardless of standard or deluxe interior. For example, see below for the 67 Coupe standard and deluxe interiors. (Good pictures of the filler panels too)

Ed

big iron

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 09:34:09 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Ed.
Learn something new every day.
Never seen any literature that indicated that RPO A67( $30.00) rear fold down seat came with armrests.
Was the price adjusted when RPO Z87 ($90.00) custom interior (armrest included) and RPO A67 was ordered together?
Thanks again.
Bob

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 11:21:34 PM »
I don't believe it was but I don't have enough orders to confirm that.

Ed

anything