Author Topic: Repop Power steering Pumps  (Read 8726 times)

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
Repop Power steering Pumps
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:14:13 PM »
I just put a new repop  power steering pump on my 69 Camaro. At idle (800 rpm) the steering is hard to turn but when step on the gas a little it becomes easy to turn, everything on the system is new or rebuilt and the belt is tight. Could the new pump be the cause?
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

PURESS

• View Profile
Re: Repop Power steering Pumps
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
Can you get air in your power steering?
Add as much fluid as needed to fill it up. Locate the power steering bleed valve on the steering box. If you have difficulty finding it, just follow the high pressure line from the power steering pump to the other end, which will be in the power steering box. Push a hose on the end of the bleeding valve.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 01:32:12 AM »
I just put a new repop  power steering pump on my 69 Camaro. At idle (800 rpm) the steering is hard to turn but when step on the gas a little it becomes easy to turn, everything on the system is new or rebuilt and the belt is tight. Could the new pump be the cause?

Did you get instructions on priming and bleeding the system when you received the pump ? It takes a few steps to get the air out of the lines, box and pump, otherwise it can take a good while to work it out of the system.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

olddragracer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 05:17:48 PM »
To bleed the power steering on your Camaro. Fill the reservoir to correct level. Raise the front wheels off the ground. Start the engine and raise the engine RPM to 1500. Turn the steering left and right going stop to stop several times. Stop the engine and reset the fluid level. If there are bubbles or foam in the fluid wait till they dissipate. Repeat at least three times or till there are no more bubbles in the fluid. If you still have little or no power steering with the wheels on the ground and engine idle at 800 RPM you likely have a faulty pump. I hope this info will help.

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 06:53:08 PM »
Thank you guys for the input, I try the wheels off the ground and go from there. Vince
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »
Jim Shea's technical articles (http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?cat=4) have a lot of great information about GM steering systems, including this one (http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1225) about power steering pump pressure and flow rates; might be of some benefit it it's not a simple fix.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 07:42:34 PM »
Thanks Tim, I think the my problem is not enough pressure. I Jacked the front end up (wheels off the ground motor off) turned the wheel lock to lock 20 times. Fluid level good before and after. Dropped the car down started the car, no joy until over 2k RPM.I'm going to try to increase pressure by pulling the flow control valve assembly looking at the spring and or shims.

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:07:32 PM »
Vince, Did you resolve your issue? What did you try?

I am having the same issue. I had a rebuilt pump on the car and ran into this. I installed a new pump and hoses last summer. Had intermittent issue with PS cutting out. I drove my 68 ss350 today and there is no PS below 1800. No foaming, no air bubbles in the lines. Fluid reservoir is full and warm. This is  a factory PS setup.

Has anyone tried modifying the Flow Control Valve on their 1st gen?

Thank You,
John
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 03:37:40 PM by Oregonjam »
68 07D SS350
John

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:22 PM »
Hi John I tried stretching the spring and looked for the shims, per Jim Shea's technical article (above post #5) My pump is a reproduction new one and it has no shims to pull out. So I ordered another pump. Not here yet. Vince

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 08:24:14 PM »
Thanks Vince,

Do you know if the one you ordered will come with Shims or are you betting the one you have is a bad pump?

I have a remanufactured pump installed but kept the original. I only changed it because it looked like someone used a large pry bar against the block and the pump neck to tighten the belt and put a huge dent it in. Ill check that this evening for shims.

Thank you,
John
68 07D SS350
John

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 11:50:44 AM »
If I bought a repop pump that did that I would just send it back
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

67 RS Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 03:58:53 PM »
Just a question? But could you not transfer the reservoir from the reman to your original pump if it was functioning properly?

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 06:38:46 PM »
Well guys apparently I have a rebuilt pump not new (repop) . I've got another pump (rebuilt)  I'll change it tomorrow, Friday. Vince

PURESS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
Good luck...I hope this works...let us know

Oregonjam

• 68 ss350
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2019, 09:33:57 PM »
Yes, I could switch the pump and reservoir. However, the rebuilt worked when initially installed and it functions over 1800 rpm. I am switching pumps this evening to another rebuilt I have. If it does not work as well I will pull a shim and retry. This pump does have one shim installed. I could not locate the original pump this week. I'll look again.

I am curious how Vince does with his. Ill also post what I try and learn. there are a few nice blogs online.

If shims are ever needed they are available through Borgeson:
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1684&page=1

68 07D SS350
John

anything