Author Topic: 1968 Camaro Rally Wheels - Recommendations  (Read 1665 times)

gwp4

• View Profile
1968 Camaro Rally Wheels - Recommendations
« on: April 27, 2019, 06:36:17 PM »
Hi Camaro Experts:

I’m planning on purchasing some 14x6 Rally wheels for my base model standard 1968 Camaro with drum brakes all around.  I know the rims should be argent silver and am looking at Derby-style center caps with “Chevrolet Motor Division” stamped in the center and the trim ring.  I’m striving for originality.  Does anyone know whether the center caps and trim rings should be chrome or stainless steel?  Also, should the trim ring have full rim style mounting clips or the style that uses 4 clips to retain the trim ring to the edge of the rim (GM #3923522).  Finally, any recommendations on a retailer for the rims, center caps, and trim rings?  Many thanks.  GWP4

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 1968 Camaro Rally Wheels - Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 02:13:17 AM »
This is just my opinion, and you may get some different inputs here.. :)

I think ALL the Rallye wheels had stainless trim rings and centers; different sizes wheels used different depths of trims.   

My recommendation would be to find ORIGINAL wheels with the appropriate codes for your car's configuration. (and matching dates, or specific dates if you want to be absolutely correct).   Yes, I'm 99% certain that all the original trims thru *most* if not all of 1968 used the 4-clip style which latched to the wheel lip.  You'll have to find these USED or NOS (if you are very lucky and well heeled) ...   I see them in onesies and twosies at car shows which are decent or repairable...

Note:  There is a portion of both the trims and the centers which is NOT stainless (on the rear portions) not visible when installed..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

anything