Author Topic: DIY power window motor replacement for 68  (Read 2220 times)

RAS68

• View Profile
DIY power window motor replacement for 68
« on: April 25, 2019, 03:57:27 PM »
I want to know how to replace the power window motor on a 68 (in the door)? I have a new replacement motor but it is not clear to me how to unbolt the old motor and install the new one. Do you remove the motor with the glass up or the glass down? Do you have to take the glass out of the door (I hope not). You can't really see inside the lower door where the motor is attached. Maybe its just three bolts and you remove the old one and install the new one by feel or with a mirror. The Camaro Central web site states " [this motor] is super easy to install". But I can't find any instructions or drawings in the 68 AIM and I have searched this forum and on line and I can't find any reference or help with 1968 Camaro with PW. I am pretty sure parts are the same for 1968 and 1969 Camaros. I am hoping some of the great folks on this forum can chime in with some instructions or hints or even pictures. Thanks in advance.
Allen
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

x66 714

• View Profile
Re: DIY power window motor replacement for 68
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 07:15:53 PM »
They can be a little scary if you've never done it before. I always remove the regulator from the door. It's either 4 or 5 bolts plus 2 nuts on the lower window glass. Once you get the glass separated from the window, have somebody else hold the glass up towards the top of the door. This will give you more room to get the regulator assy out & it will come out the big hole in the door. You will also need to unplug the motor. You will probably need to remove the idler track. It has 2 bolts, the same as the regulator.

Now you have the regulator on the bench. CAUTION!!!!! That assy is spring loaded. Most of the time you can put a 3/8" bolt, washers & nut through the regulator & the arm. This is a must to avoid getting hurt. Once you're sure the assm will not move you can take the motor off & reinstall a different one. Do not remove the bolt untill you get the new motor bolted in place.

Put it back the same way you removed it.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

RAS68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:47:36 PM »
Joe,
Thank you very much for the reply. That is very helpful and I appreciate it! Now I know what to do and how much time to plan for. I guess there is no way to do it with the regulator and glass in place (given that it is spring loaded as you say). BTW I am a little miffed at the product description from Camaro Central where it states this motor is "super easy to install". The quality of the motors themselves appears very good. Does anyone else have any hints or advice for this project?
'68 SS L34 07C NOR

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 10:36:30 PM »
The regulator will need to come out of the door. The bolts the hold the motor on to the regulator are in between the regulator & the inner door shell. This is actually pretty easy to do. I wanted to give you as much detail as I could to avoid you maybe getting injured or cutting something off. I've installed 5 sets of OEM power window into 67-69 Camaros. I just removed the one I installed into mine & couple of years ago. Just don't get in a hurry. When you put it back together, just put all the bolts back in exactly the same groove you found them.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981