Author Topic: Mosport Park: 1967 Camaro Convertibles Driver Intros for USAC Champ Car Indycar  (Read 2474 times)

SMKZ28

• View Profile
While searching up information for a different thread in this forum, I realized that I neglected to create a thread for these particular Camaro convertibles from 1967. 

Several white 1967 Camaro convertibles were used for the drivers parade at the Telegram Trophy race which was a USAC Champ Car (Indycars) event held at Mosport Park in Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada on Saturday, July 1, 1967. 

This was only the second time in history that USAC Champ Cars had raced on a road course.  The event was supposed to take place on Saturday, June 17, 1967 but torrential rains postponed the event.  Click on the link for a write-up of the event: https://www.thestar.com/sports/auto-racing/2017/07/14/indy-racing-in-canada-celebrates-50th-anniversary-in-2017.html

These are probably the same group of Camaro convertibles that would be used later in the year to chauffeur the Formula One drivers around the same track prior to the running of the Grand Prix du Canada on Sunday, August 27, 1967.  If so then they would have been white with blue interiors and blue nose stripes like an Indy 500 pace car of that year.  Pictures of the cars at the Formula One event can be seen in Replies #100-103 on page 7 of my thread here: http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=16296.90

Since they were used as driver introduction cars, perhaps a Camaro was also used as the pace car for this event.  The one picture I have been able to locate is not clear enough to make a positive identification of the car.

The 1st and 3rd pictures were originally posted to camaropacecars.com by a member named "1967 RS SS"
2nd photo looks like a cropped version of the first. I'm not sure where I acquired it. 
4th photo is a the cover of the souvenir program.  Notice the original date of June 17, 1967 (worthpoint.com)
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd

SMKZ28

• View Profile
I found two photographs that confirm that a 1967 Camaro RS/SS convertible was used as the pace car for the Telegram Trophy race.  The photos show the Camaro parked in front of the grid, surrounded by people, prior to the beginning of the pace laps. 

Unfortunately, the website where I found these images is very strict about copyright infringement.  In order to see them follow these instructions:

1) Go to this website: https://www.motorsporthistory.ca/search.php
2) Click on the CONFIRM button in the copyright consent box that pops up
3) Type the word "grid" into the search box
4) Click on the "slider icon" to the right of the search box.  It will turn yellow when you hover over it.
5) In the "Type" box change it from "Any" to "Images"
6) Click the "Search" button
7) Scroll down through the images until you see two black & white photos showing the Camaro in front of the grid with a large banner hanging over the top with the words "Start Telegram Trophy Race Finish" on it.
8 Click on each photo to zoom in

This website has some pretty cool images and documents but it is not at all user friendly.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 04:52:43 PM by SMKZ28 »
Scott
I don't have a 1st Gen but I have 1971 Z28 RS 4-spd, 1997 Z28 Z4C 6-spd, 2000 SS Convertible, 2010 RS 6-spd