Author Topic: Hidden VIN  (Read 19287 times)

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
Hidden VIN
« on: March 03, 2007, 05:27:12 AM »
  Hi, 

I have a question about hidden VIN's on first generation Camaros. Other then under the heater core box is there anywhere else the VIN is at on the body or frame? What happend is I have bought a 67 RS 4spd car that the previous owner started trying to restore, he removed the VIN tag from the door jam to prime the body and has lost it. I checked the title aginst the partial VIN under the heater box and it matches the ending of the VIN on the title, but I live in a different state then where I bought the car so to get a title in my state I have to have the VIN inspected. If it is somewhere other then under the heater box I might start putting the car back together before I have it inspected, if not I need to get a law enforcement officer over to sign off on an affadaved to say it matches.  Also the sub-frame on the car was changed to a 68 sub-frame because of damage in the past.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance

Charley

• View Profile
Re: Hidden VIN
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 03:14:25 PM »
I sent you a PM. Maybe it is better not to post the hidden locations in a public forum.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2007, 06:28:08 PM »
  Thanks for the help

Tinkerr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 04:46:08 AM »
If you do a search either here or on www.camaros.net you will find the locations as well as numerous pictures.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 07:45:06 AM »
  thanks Tinkerr I will check it out

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 06:50:17 AM »
Guys, did you look on this site?
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#PartialVIN
Kurt S
CRG

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:07:15 PM »
the vin is stamped on lot of places on a 68 camaro. one other spot is in the trunk floor behind the left hand bumper support. also it is stamped on the trans tunnel towards rear from under car. i have also saw vins stamped on trunk dropoff.  maybe stamped at other places also,  these are just some of the places i have found vin stamping on my 1968 z28, have also noticed this on other 68 camaros i have owned.  these hidden numbers only became visible after completely media blasting the shell.

RickH

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 01:27:09 AM »
Are you sure you are not referring to the date codes stamped in the sheetmetal? I don't think the partial VIN is stamped in all those places.
In the places you mentioned I have date stamps for the sheetmetal.

Rick H.

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 03:40:56 AM »
  Thanks for the link Kurt and the help from the rest of you.  As soon as I get the car home I will give you the trim tag info Kurt so that you can add it to the data base.

sd1968z28

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 02:24:14 PM »
i may be wrong, i have been wrong before, and will be wrong again as will we all. i will look again when the snow melts and i can get my car out. as far as date stamps in sheet metal.  i know what you are speaking of those stamps are on every panel of the car

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 02:34:11 PM »
I blasted my whole body down to the original metal and what you are talking about being stamped are the date codes for sheetmetal parts. Alot of parts are stamped with a letter followed by a 2 digit number. The letter is the plant and the numbers are the week. I had K44 stamped all over my car.
I also do not have my VIN stamped under the blower motor hole as some cars evidently did not get stamped there. The only places I have seen hidden VIN's are on top of the pass side cowl and under the blower motor hole. Thsi was on my 69 Van Nuys 11B car.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
the vin is stamped on lot of places on a 68 camaro. one other spot is in the trunk floor behind the left hand bumper support. also it is stamped on the trans tunnel towards rear from under car. i have also saw vins stamped on trunk dropoff.  maybe stamped at other places also,  these are just some of the places i have found vin stamping on my 1968 z28, have also noticed this on other 68 camaros i have owned.  these hidden numbers only became visible after completely media blasting the shell.

Those are Fisher Body stamping plant "run numbers" that identify the plant and the week the panel was stamped; there are only two hidden VIN numbers, on the cowl and adjacent to the heater blower opening.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jshz0

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »
I just bought a 1969 z/28 and I want to make sure the car is not stollen.Other than the cowl and the heater box area is there any other places they put the vin or a partial vin?????? Can anyone help me??? 

jshz0

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2007, 04:17:09 PM »
Sorry my e-mail is jshz0@yahoo.com. Thank you.

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2007, 06:31:56 PM »
The cowl and heater box were the only other places the partial VIN was stamped, other than the VIN plate on tiop of the drivers side dash.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise