Author Topic: First 67 Yenko Camaro Listed in Yenko inventory  (Read 3070 times)

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
First 67 Yenko Camaro Listed in Yenko inventory
« on: January 14, 2019, 01:28:14 PM »
American muscle car museum
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

maroman

• View Profile
Re: First 67 Yenko Camaro Listed in Yenko inventory
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 03:33:42 PM »
SO it SOUNDS like it was built on the first day of production and sold to Yenko. THEN later received a BB engine and " converted" to a Super Car? Wasn't the traction bar added much later too?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 05:02:37 PM »
SO it SOUNDS like it was built on the first day of production and sold to Yenko. THEN later received a BB engine and " converted" to a Super Car? Wasn't the traction bar added much later too?

I will save you all the clicks:

This 1967 Chevrolet Camaro SS coupe originally sold from Yenko Chevrolet, has accompanying documentation, which confirms two very important facts: it was built on the first day of production, and it was delivered to Yenko Chevrolet on September 1, 1966 to become the first Camaro ever listed in Yenko Chevrolet’s inventory records. Records show that it was listed on the General Motors Acceptance Corporation statement as invoice number BN00197, its first Date of Note being September 27, 1966. A later GMAC statement shows it was paid for on November 5, 1967. According to Yenko archivist Warren Dernoshek, those documents confirm that the car remained at Yenko for approximately one year, prompting the obvious question: why? Some believe that this 1967 Camaro, likely built in the 23rd hour of the first day of production, was used to develop the Yenko Super Camaro conversion. That belief, however, cannot be confirmed. What is known about the car is that it was originally produced as a V8 coupe, most likely a small block car as big block production did not commence until November 1966. Its authenticity is confirmed by examining the hidden serial numbers stamped into the cowl and beneath the heater box opening on the firewall.

Extensive two-year restoration was completed in 2014, in the process modifying it to Yenko Super Camaro specifications using date-code correct components. Finished in the original Granada Gold, it now packs a date code-correct 427 CI engine block using heads, intake manifold and carburetor correctly coded as Corvette L72 427/450 HP components. Other details, including the Muncie 4-speed with Muncie shifter, 12-bolt 3.73 Positraction rear end, factory traction bars, Yenko Green-face custom tach and gauges and fiberglass Stinger hood, further add to the authenticity of this outstanding restoration and conversion. We may never know what purpose was served by keeping the car at Yenko Chevrolet for over a year; there was nothing in the records to show it was itself an actual Yenko Super Camaro conversion. But one thing is certain: this historically significant first-day Camaro is now an accurate rendition of the original Yenko Super Camaro..

https://www.americanmusclecarmuseum.com/chevrolet-vehicles/37-1967-chevrolet-camaro-yenko.html

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »
Sounds to me like a seller attempting to mislead a buyer using a bunch of *words*... 
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 11:16:41 PM »
For once we agree, Gary. Sounds like a very nice clone to me.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

67jeffreyt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:57:08 PM »
I don't see anything in the museum post stating it was for sale, only that it was tuned up and cleaned up for pictures.
67 ss/rs camaro currently
68 prostreet Camaro 9.60 1/4 mile
68 Rallysport, first car high school
89 rs camaro convertible, made readers rides super Chevy

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 12:16:25 AM »
The museum owner is a well known collector who made his money elsewhere and uses his museum for many charity events. The cars are not for sale and I don't think he is trying to mislead any one. He took some liberties on this car based on what it may have been used for at Yenko.