Author Topic: Bloomington Gold adding Camaro's for 2019  (Read 14834 times)

maroman

• View Profile
Re: Bloomington Gold adding Camaro's for 2019
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2019, 10:56:58 PM »
I think your 10% is pretty optimistic. I went to Corvettes at Carlisle this year, haven't been for a long time. I doubt I will ever go back.  Maybe 90% of the cars were less then 10 years old.  Two guys all dressed in the latest Corvette swag walked up to the '57 I was looking at. The one said to the other you have to walk around to the front to count headlights, that's the only way to know what year they are.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2019, 10:57:20 PM »
  The 71 we had (should be 71 in previous post, typo) was a 454 survivor with 32,000 original miles and was certified as such through NCRS.  We did only a couple of shows with it and of course corvette guys want to be your buddy etc...  but our intention of purchasing it was to let my wife enjoy it.  Was a nice cruiser, auto, AC, PS, PB, and 3.08's out back.  She proceeded to daily drive it to work for 2 years.  Boy that really annoyed the vette people.  Then at our Tri-5 club annual muscle car drag race we held every year I decided to make some passes with it.  The same corvette groupies thought I was nuts, lol.  Like everything I own, I like to see how it runs.  It went 14.20's at 98 mph.  After 2 years of her driving it we sold the car with 48,000 miles on it.   I don't think the vette crowd ever got over that.  They acted like I had wore it out  ;D

Had vettes since but we never did shows with them.  They were bought purely for my wife to enjoy.  Couldn't really enjoy them together either once we had kids so just got away from them all together.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2019, 11:01:47 PM »
I think your 10% is pretty optimistic. I went to Corvettes at Carlisle this year, haven't been for a long time. I doubt I will ever go back.  Maybe 90% of the cars were less then 10 years old.  Two guys all dressed in the latest Corvette swag walked up to the '57 I was looking at. The one said to the other you have to walk around to the front to count headlights, that's the only way to know what year they are.

Don't even have to go to a corvette show to experience that.  One of our local cruises, yes just a casual cruise, has specialized parking for corvettes every weekend, and it's mostly new junk that I really don't care to look at.    Usually an entire 25 space row is wasted with them.  And they get upset when you park a 69 Z in one of their spots.  Ask me how I know  :)

mdz

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2019, 11:31:38 PM »
The Corvette people seem to think there is two kinds of people in the world, those who own Corvettes and people who wished they owned a Corvette.

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2019, 12:51:09 AM »
The Corvette people seem to think there is two kinds of people in the world, those who own Corvettes and people who wished they owned a Corvette.
I would never own a Corvette. To me, they're plain. The first generation Camaros had so much to offer, so many differences that you could come up with a totally different Camaro than your friend had. Interiors alone were so many different styles & colors. These are only my opinions. Everybody has their own.....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2019, 11:26:44 AM »
....end of the day, all the cool kids are at the drags anyway😉
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:44 PM »
I like and have or had both camaros and vettes . Also GTO,s chevelles, firebirds,ect. I like them all. You will find buttholes at all car events. The main thing they have in common is that they have never actually worked on a car.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
Oh yea,right about that.
I was no better,looking down my nose at those who didnt turn their own wrenches.
Then, we were at a gasser meet in NY. Another father/son set pitted next to me and my dad,same ages.Nost.Anglia and Henry J.cut to the chase: I ended up tuning his Anglia, which put a huge grin on his face. I teased his son about owning gas stations,,and bringing no tools.Kwickee Mart?? Anyway, we had a great weekend together,,and the club who sponsered the event,,well, they cherry picked in staging,,guess who won the awards,lol.
My old A/C is a vette guy, who loves all cars,and glows when he asks how my Z's coming...all good.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

uscrichter

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »
I have been a NCRS member for many years and I still own 5 Vettes had seven, sold two and added 2 Camaros to my garage! for all the reasons stated above in addition to just loving first gen Camaros and I can tell you that even in the Vette community there has been a lot of disillusion with members because of the Egos involved in judging etc.. , I have had friends that have been  long term members sell their Vette(s) because of all the politics and Egos, I do enjoy my Corvettes because I actually drive them! and no longer partake in that gruesome and Ego driven judging process. It is about having fun and the people involved in the Camaro community seem to understand that and have respect for one another even if we don't own a matching numbers fully documented 2,900 mile ZL-1 survivor! and you wonder why they want to expand the following with Camaro enthusiasts?? 

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2019, 02:53:13 AM »
As aforementioned everyone has had experiences with car people at some point both good and bad, and it was not determined by what they drove. I’m an NCRS member, and belong to our local Corvette Club which started 50 years ago. I’ve been to many Corvette shows and the people were the same type of people as people at other types of car shows. Our local Corvette Club does a lot for charities including Toys for Tots, and Corvettes for Chip (Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation). The debate to me resembles when the Street Rodders were faced with numbers dwindling and they added later years to the mix like our Gen I Camaro’s and boy did that cause a stir. Bottom line, there are a lot of great people that show. drive and enjoy their Corvettes just like there are great people who show, drive and own Camaro’s.  Some of the earned negativity is due to the Bloomington Gold writing about Camaro being a stepping stone to Corvettes which was ridiculous and created backlash. 
I know uscrichter has 5 Corvettes and Gary owns a few and he’s OK most of the time (LOL) so how about anyone else?

Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2019, 03:44:08 AM »
Agree, I've seen it with all kinds of makes.  We have Pontiacs, Fords, Chevrolets, and I attend various shows with each.  You pretty much see the same types of people at these events.  I haven't really put a finger on it but I tend to think it's just the type of person they are rather than the type of car they drive.  They seem to have this level of disdain that keeps them from looking at things with an open mind.
   I've met some fantastic people over the years that enjoy all brands and makes just like we do, and don't frown on you because one week you drove a Camaro and the next week a mustang.  They are interested in all of it and to me these are the "real" car enthusiasts that truly enjoy this hobby.  Very rare to find.

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:08 AM »
As aforementioned everyone has had experiences with car people at some point both good and bad, and it was not determined by what they drove. I’m an NCRS member, and belong to our local Corvette Club which started 50 years ago. I’ve been to many Corvette shows and the people were the same type of people as people at other types of car shows. Our local Corvette Club does a lot for charities including Toys for Tots, and Corvettes for Chip (Chip Miller Amyloidosis Foundation). The debate to me resembles when the Street Rodders were faced with numbers dwindling and they added later years to the mix like our Gen I Camaro’s and boy did that cause a stir. Bottom line, there are a lot of great people that show. drive and enjoy their Corvettes just like there are great people who show, drive and own Camaro’s.  Some of the earned negativity is due to the Bloomington Gold writing about Camaro being a stepping stone to Corvettes which was ridiculous and created backlash. 
I know uscrichter has 5 Corvettes and Gary owns a few and he’s OK most of the time (LOL) so how about anyone else?

Yeah the street rodders can be just as bad. The NSRA tried starting up a national event in the Northwest again here acouple years ago. I helped my grandfather show his 56 Chevy custom and alot of those NSRA guys were still upset a tri five was there, which was pretty comical. That attitude was one of the reasons the show failed to really take off. Luckily that group seems to be at this point more open to the newer stuff with the younger crowd. I know Goodguys pushed their cutoff date into the 80s now and this summer at the Pacific Northwest Nationals there was a nice increase of cars and a younger demographic and not really any complaints.

Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 05:04:30 AM »
Good guys, we used to call them "greedy guys ", back in the day. Show prices doubled in Pleasanton, and you could not just do the swap meet. Parking went from a buck to $7 overnight.
Sorry to side track
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2019, 05:11:30 PM »
Yep Goodguys is pricey,  $70 to enter a car now and it includes a membership I don't want (they force that on you)   They did open the year up to 1987 which certainly increased the car count.  It didn't go over well with some but overall a good decision.

Shucks even we realized it had to be done back in the 1980's when our tri-5 club was holding our annual muscle car drag race.  There was turmoil within the group, hardcore 50's guys that didn't want anything newer than 62, and also wanted to use the 1959 rule book with flagmen instead of the tree (which we tried the first year) but the car count sucked and we eventually opened it to 1972, and then later to all muscle cars through the mid 1980's at that time which didn't go over well within the club.  But, the car count got so big we eventually started having 2 events a year instead of one.  I don't recall hearing any complaining much after that, lol.

I think from what I've read here, the vette people are starting to realize their car count and members dwindling and are taking a similar approach.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2019, 05:31:03 PM »
Since this morphed into a discussion about years PLEASE don't change CRG to something else. I belong to a car club dedicated to 1914 to 1938 cars. Several members want to open it up to newer cars to gain more members. That is not always good. It changes the format of the club. We tour a lot so later '40's or '50's cars want to go faster on highways where we are now going 45 max and stick to side roads. Lots of thought has to go into whether more is better. As to CRG, lots of parts are similar, may even fit from '67 to '69. But 1970 is a completely different animal. To the best of my knowledge this has not been suggested I am just saying more is not always better.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

anything