Author Topic: High-Level Brake Light  (Read 4742 times)

ZLP955

• View Profile
High-Level Brake Light
« on: November 20, 2018, 01:06:58 AM »
I was catching up on episode 20 of Project Binky on YouTube (hooked - amazing fabrication skills and attention to details, with typically dry Brit humour) and thought their idea of installing a high-level rear brake light was a very worthwhile concession to originality in favour of added safety. Got me wondering if any members here have added one to a first-gen? I know there are 'universal' units available, but would like to hunt down something OEM that would be slimline (subtle), effective and simple to mount.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 01:45:40 AM by ZLP955 »
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

X33RS

• View Profile
Re: High-Level Brake Light
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:11:18 AM »
Something I like that is inconspicuous and might be of interest to those that want safety without a visible third brake light.

A brake light strobe module.  Easy to install, hidden, and various styles will flash the tail lights any number of different ways before they go solid, every time you hit the brakes.  It's a pretty decent attention getter that keeps the car looking completely stock.  They are cheap too at $5 to $10

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 03:30:50 AM »
Definitely want it to be as inconspicuous as possible; unfortunately my home state's vehicle standards rules don't allow brake lights to operate other than solid illumination, even sequential lights aren't permitted..... but that strobe suggestion would be a good alternative for those of you who have more lenient rules.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 03:18:14 PM »
Wow, never heard that before.  Guess you don't have any Shelby's registered in your state, lol.   Matter of fact, many of the newer motorcycles sold today come from the factory with this safety feature.

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »
I had found an OE GM brake light unit that could easily be installed inside the car at the top of the rear glass, bracketed off the steel headliner edging piece. Then hit an obstacle with that plan in discussions with a technical inspector for the licensing authority; as the car will have Soft-Ray tinted glass, he believes a red light passing through the green tint will be a problem. Never considered that.
So, the options are:
- Use clear glass.
- Find a lamp unit that mounts on the exterior (yuck visually, and no way am I going to drill mounting and wiring holes!).
- Ditch the idea altogether.
Tim in Australia.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 06:27:12 AM »
I would install, have it pass tech, and then hook it up.
The tint is minor - many new cars have the same issue and it's not an issue.
Kurt S
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 10:30:35 AM »
Good idea Kurt ;)
Tim in Australia.