Author Topic: Removing and replacing chrome trim/convertible  (Read 3369 times)

Luker40

• View Profile
Removing and replacing chrome trim/convertible
« on: November 19, 2018, 03:07:13 AM »
Hi all,
How does a guy remove that chrome trim that goes all the way around the car at the base where the convertible top connects to the car?   Looks like it’s two pierce and connects together right in the middle.  I can take a picture tomorrow.   Never worked on trim before.

Thanks

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Removing and replacing chrome trim/convertible
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2018, 03:41:01 AM »
https://m.harborfreight.com/4-piece-windshield-door-trim-tool-set-38386.html

Get this tool set. Use the third from the right in the HB picture. You need to lift the clip end which will allow the moulding to detach from each clip. On the bottom you need to remove the wiper arms and cowl to get at the retaining clips.
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
This thread has some good info on how to do this, but no pics, sorry. I will have to do that next time :)

https://www.camaros.net/forums/31-convertibles/169113-pinchwell-molding.html

Luker40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:45:21 PM »
Thank you Kevin.  That’s exactly what I was looking for, but couldn’t find.  After reading the whole thread, I’m having second thoughts on replacing that chrome trim.  It is in good shape other than one nice dent towards the middle.  Will have to see if it bothers me down the road.  Looks like a big job.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 02:39:02 PM »
Oh gesh....that molding. For some reason I thought you meant the front. The rear is held in with a few screws at the base just above the convertible trim sticks. Once removed then you'll need to carefully pry the molding up by grabbing the area where the moulding/clip area is, starting from the ends. Don't forget to remove the screw on the end tabs. Depending where the ding is in the molding, it can be carefully flattened with a trim hammer followed by a few iterations of sanding then polish.  It's time consuming indeed, especially the polishing.

Luker40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 03:04:39 PM »
Thabks mike!  I was still planning on buying that set you recommended.  I do need to replace some of the trim you were talking about too.  Is this one a real bearcat to tackle in the back?  I’m not the most mechanically inclinde, so I usually have to weigh out the idea of me possibly screwing more up vs just having a professional do it

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 05:20:12 PM »
If you kink the trim when removing, it usually can't be repaired. Plus, there is the expense of getting the necessary tools to remove the dings and polish. Removing the trim isn't hard to do, just go slow and start from the ends and work back to the center. Look for a local metal polish shop to repair the surface defects if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:17:53 PM »
If your are doing any trim, try to polish it and save it. The repop stuff does not fit well and is hard to install without denting it.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything