Author Topic: Distributor question  (Read 12375 times)

CDaubs

• View Profile
Distributor question
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:00:33 PM »
Hello all,

I have a rebuilt 327 small block, bumped up to 325hp with a 4bl that I am putting in my 67 Camaro.  Any recommendations as to which distributor I should use?  Can/should I use the original one?  My engine was originally a 2bl 210hp.  If I stay with an original style distributor, should I look for one based on the hp rating or engine size?  Example:  use a 1111169 which is for a 396/325 engine.

Thank you all in advance.   ;)

sam

• View Profile
Re: Distributor question
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:47:24 PM »
Send your original distributor to Jerry MacNeish. He will set it up to run great and your car will still be/look original. Nothing wrong with a stock Chevy distributor with a little work.  Sam

sebastien

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 05:52:39 AM »
That's what I put in my 327's orginal distributor
 http://www.lectriclimited.com/breakerless_se.htm
it works great
Sebastien 68  327 rag top

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 12:47:19 PM »
 ;D

CDaubs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 06:23:16 PM »
Sam,

I like your idea.  :D  Anybody know how I get in touch with Jerry?

Thanks,

Charlie

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 12:41:03 AM »
Charlie -

Send him an email at www.Z28camaro.com or give him a call at 410-781-0418.  Here's the link to his website:

http://www.z28camaro.com/index.html

Have fun!   :)

Paul

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 09:26:58 PM »
Hello all,

I have a rebuilt 327 small block, bumped up to 325hp with a 4bl that I am putting in my 67 Camaro.  Any recommendations as to which distributor I should use?  Can/should I use the original one?  My engine was originally a 2bl 210hp.  If I stay with an original style distributor, should I look for one based on the hp rating or engine size?  Example:  use a 1111169 which is for a 396/325 engine.

Thank you all in advance.   ;)

I ended up going with the Pertronix Set-up - Dist & Coil - working great and priced well
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 09:49:37 PM »
FYI,

We were installing these pertronix units for a few years.  Seemed to work well at first but then we began hearing back from customers that they're cars were just "quitting" on the road during the hot summer months.  In several cases, each customer traced it back to the module in the distributor.  Eventualy, these distributors made their way back to us.  I installed the high qulaity Accel points that I've been using for years and have not had a single come back or complaint since.  Don't know what was happening but I know we converted at least six or seven distributors back to points.  Haven't been installling these modules since because of these issues.

Jerry

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 06:19:20 PM »
Although solid-state electronics and modules in new cars are generally reliable, the Corvette restoration community has seen the same issues with some of the Pertronix conversion modules. The bad news is that when they fail, you're dead on the side of the road, with no repair possible, and the units aren't sold in retail auto parts stores - only by mail. Although the failure rate is quite low, most who have them have learned to carry a set of points and condenser (or a spare module) and a small screwdriver in their "road box" so they aren't stranded in the middle of nowhere if the module takes a dump.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

68Zproject

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2007, 03:21:20 AM »
I've heard of problems with these too and was worried.  So what did I do? I got thier dist, coil and wires. ( I'm a little hard-headed ) I haven't had a problem and did hear that you have to use their plug wires with these or the module can burn out.
68Z28

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 01:58:06 PM »
Not true,

These modules have given out at any given time in hot weather and plug wires does not prevent this from happening,

Good luck,

Jerry

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2007, 02:56:18 PM »
Not sure why anyone would not use an original distributor that has been restored/gone over and set up correctly. I have gone 4 years on a set of points and really don't foul the R44S plugs I am running. I like Jerrys philosophy a set of Accel points and condenser and a good tune up is all you need. ;D I never knew Chevies to have an igntion problem with good stock parts.

Wallace

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2007, 05:55:03 PM »
As a LONG time believer in points type distributors I would say to use the origional distributor, but make sure the bearings, drive gear and the point contact lobes don't show wear.  I must admit that for my '69 396 engine I installed an HEI uint that showed a nice little increase in power.  Those distributors have a big cap and there wasn't much room to spare against the firewall.  I agree with the failure issue with electronics, when the part fails you are SOL.  I can't remember a set of points shutting me down entirely.

Wallace

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 12:34:53 AM »
Back in the mid 1990's, I backed to backed an MSD HEI distributor and a 1110985 '62 Corvette dual point distributor in my stock eliminator race car.  Believe it or not, there was no difference in ET.  And the 302 needs a good spark at 8200 rpm.  That's where this puppy is shifted. 

I am using an MSD unit in the car now because of the 2-step in the car.

Jerry 

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 01:27:04 AM »
I believe Grump used that 62 Vette dual point often in the old days. I ran 11.50 at 122 with a single point distributor shifting at 7800 back in 1974 in a 1969 nova SS sb car. Never had point problems. Nothing wrong with original distributors for performance in my book.

anything