Author Topic: 68 Dash Vin Holder Replacment  (Read 3517 times)

piltotim2

• View Profile
68 Dash Vin Holder Replacment
« on: October 01, 2018, 05:36:20 PM »
Hi,

I inherited a 68'.  My dad was in the process of restoring the car.  He removed the Dash vin while repairs were being made.  I have the Vin Plate!  I need the holder that held it up in the dash that was riveted in.  My windshield is removed and don't want to just jB weld it in.  Want to make it as nice as possible. 

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
Re: 68 Dash Vin Holder Replacment
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:24:57 PM »
Hey Tim,

Welcome to the CRG!

Has the entire top of the dash been removed? If it has, was another top panel installed? The top of the dash should have a slot for the VIN to show through. Is that slot there on the driver's side?

- Warren

piltotim2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 04:04:07 AM »
The dash looks normal. Looks like it was done then primed. The slot on the driver side for the vin is there. There is 2 holes toward the driver where the rivets would go to hold the vin holder. I could just put the vin plate in with epoxy and would look normal put I would like it to be correct and look normal.

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 04:23:31 AM »
So what is the problem with riveting it back to the dash? Pictures help a lot if you can post them.

- Warren

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 04:41:44 AM »
Not familiar with '68s but if it's the same as a '69 VIN, there is a reinforcing plate (2) that goes underneath the VIN plate (3) and they are both riveted (1) to the dash as shown. Should be straightforward to bend up a small plate the same profile as the VIN tag to sit under it?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

piltotim2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:52:41 PM »
Beautiful picture. I am missing item #2. The vin plate goes on top of the holder.  I guess I can just rivet it back with no holder?  Would look normal from the outside  ??

piltotim2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:57:08 PM »
I guess I can fab the plate but not sure if I can make it look like new or close to original?  I was hoping somebody had the same problem and had either made something or had an actual old attachment plate??

WorkinProgress

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 04:49:15 PM »
Well now we know what you need. If that lower reinforcement plate is missing, you should be able to take a piece of sheet metal and cut it to the size of your VIN tag, drill two holes and rivet it. You will not see that from the top of the dash. I am sure that just keeps the VIN plate from sagging on the dash. There may even be someone on the site that has the plate for you.

- Warren

piltotim2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 05:33:13 PM »
Thanks for the picture and the information!  I will try to fab it from sheet metal like you suggested unless someone sees this thread and already has done so. Save me the trouble!

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
I would bet the boneyard has a LOT of those.  Not sure if they are fully generic or not but I would try looking for a period correct GM product to scavenge one off.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
Exactly.
Kurt S
CRG

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »