Author Topic: NCRS Can't Provide Dealer Name  (Read 3029 times)

Buzz67

• View Profile
NCRS Can't Provide Dealer Name
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
Hello Members,

Well, SHOOT! I've been contacted by the NCRS researcher regarding my car's history. It seems the GM documents do not list the dealer name and location. All they can provide is the production date, the dealer zone number and the dealer GM code.

Can someone here tell me more about dealer zone numbers and what the dealer GM code is? The researcher wants to know if I want just the limited details they have or do I want a refund. I appreciate their honesty, but I need to know more before I can make a decision. What do you members think? Should I proceed or tell them 'No Thanks'?

Thanks,
Buzz
'67 RS/SS L35, M40, Red/Red Coupe, NOR
Original Drivetrain w/3.73 posi
Original Rally Wheels, Manual Disc, Steering
3rd Owner

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: NCRS Can't Provide Dealer Name
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »
What's the zone number and dealer code?

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:12:51 PM »
The shipping dealer (not necessarily the original selling dealer) being available depends on knowing what the dealer number was at that time.

There is a little bit more of an explanation at this link.
https://www.ncrs.org/services/dealer-code-data.php

Not all dealer codes are currently known.

If it was me, I would get the information. We can try to help narrow it down for you, but no guarantees.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »
Whether you get your money back, or get the information they have depends on how much you desire to find out the originating dealer for your car..  We can't answer that for you!

I think MOST of us who paid for the service only received the Zone and Dealer Numbers; the thing to know about this is that they DO change, and you have to find the Zone and Dealer No FOR THE TIME YOUR CAR was built (which is the other piece of information provided in the report).

I did quite a bit of research into these numbers when I received my report, and finally verified the Zone and Dealer was as I believed it was originally.   I have a friend who is the Parts Mgr at the dealership where I believed my car to have delivered based on the tags on the car; that friend also worked at 2 or 3 other Chevy dealerships in the region over the last 40 yrs.   He was able to tell me the current zone numbers, what they mean, and how they are used, as well as PAST zone numbers for the region.

What I (think) I know about Zone Numbers:

*The Zone Nbr corresponds to the Regional Parts Depot supplying the dealership (at the time the car was delivered); as Chevy moves the locations where they stock/supply parts to dealers, those numbers change.   Since 1969 for the dealership where my car was sold, the ZONE has changed 4 times!   (Parts provided to the dealer shows the ZONE number; if you have any parts purchased from a specific dealership and have the tags associated, you can get the ZONE nbr from those tags.

* The Dealer Nbr seems to change when there is a change of ownership/name for the Dealer.   In the case for my car, the dealership ownership has passed down from grandfather, to father to son, but the NAME remains the same, so the dealer number hasn't changed but the ZONE has changed 4 times.

There might be people here on this site that can assist you if you provide enough information.   ie. What Zone/dealer/date is on your sheet?   Where are you located?   Where did you purchase the car?   WHERE do you THINK the car was built based on any other evidences?
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

jcihos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 05:32:39 PM »
Buzz I ran into a similar issue when I ordered my NCRS report only they did not offer a refund when mine couldn't be found. After speaking with Mark/NCRS Business manager over there I found out that they have 2 sets of documents that they can pull the dealer name from. The first set is from 1966 and the second was from around 1987 if I remember correctly. Since the dealership my car was sold at opened in 1968 and was sold in the early 1980's NCRS has no record of it ever existing. I was able to find some other information about the dealership using the NCRS data base lookup online but that is not an official data base maintained by NCRS. Like others have said it you decide to pursue there are many other people on the forum that might be able to assist.

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:46:23 PM »
Post the zone and code and I'll see if I can assist.

Paul

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:54:03 PM »
Most of them are known through this site and others research. I think it is worth the money to try.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Buzz67

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 06:53:14 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I've advised the researcher to proceed with the report. Thanks everybody for the responses and encouragement. When I receive the report I'll post again.

Thanks again, everyone!
Buzz
'67 RS/SS L35, M40, Red/Red Coupe, NOR
Original Drivetrain w/3.73 posi
Original Rally Wheels, Manual Disc, Steering
3rd Owner