Author Topic: 1967 RSSS Hide-a-way headlights  (Read 2966 times)

Shotgun Camaro

• View Profile
1967 RSSS Hide-a-way headlights
« on: September 07, 2018, 04:36:44 PM »
I recently purchased a 1967 RSSS with all electric hide-a-way headlights.  Been fixing small things until now.  The headlight doors will open, headlights come on both high and low beam when the light switch is pulled out.  With the ignition switch in ACC or started and I push in the headlight switch in, the headlights go off but the doors don't close.  I looked back at a headlight post and found the wiring diagram and some fixes.  I replaced all three relays, horn relay and headlight pull switch but the doors will not close.  Side note, the horn doesn't work either and I have a new horn relay.  The new relay had "BAT" on one post so I put the positive cable from the battery to that side (just like the old one).  The new relay gets VERY VERY hot.  WHY??????????????? Because the doors open and I manually close them, I assume the motors are good.
What am I missing?????????????????????????????????????  What's going on???????????????????? Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brent396

• View Profile
Re: 1967 RSSS Hide-a-way headlights
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 03:01:23 PM »
If my 67 is running and I turn the head lights off the doors don't close. I always thought it was normal and by design. If I turn the car off with the doors/lights on/open they will shut when I turn the key back on to start the car for the next drive.

My thinking was you could keep the doors open to change the light bulb or clean the head light without being blinded. Smarter people here will remember these cars new which I was not alive for.

Heat and resistance with your horn relay is another issue.

Shotgun Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 08:52:55 PM »
I've read in order to close the vehicle has to be running or ignition at least in the "ACC" position.  I tried what you suggested on mine and the doors still will not close.

Thanks for trying.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:09:31 PM »
I've read in order to close the vehicle has to be running or ignition at least in the "ACC" position.  I tried what you suggested on mine and the doors still will not close.

Thanks for trying.
  That is correct for how they should close.
Did you check the switch ground with a meter on the side of each limit switch?

Mike
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:38:27 PM by Mike S »
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
Here's a link that may help.  Go to about the fifth line down for the "Download link:....." line, click on it and then go about halfway though that PDF document to the "Headlamp Door Diagnosis" section and look for your symptom.

http://www.pozziracing.com/67_rs_headlight_doors.htm