Author Topic: 1969 Camaro - Can it have factory console gauges w/out center dash clock? tach?  (Read 3183 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Just wondering.  I know it seems so basic of a question, and I think maybe I knew the answer at one time, but I just don't know.  What are the rules on console gauges and center clock and tach?

ZLP955

• View Profile
U17 included the center clock, which was also available as a standalone as U35.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
A.) No Clock-no, No tach-no
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

sdkar

• View Profile
So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, if I see a Camaro with console gauges and it doesn't have a clock as well, does that mean that the gauges were added later and the Camaro did not come with gauges from the factory? 

I know that Pace cars did not necessarily have console gauges from the factory, but if they did, shouldn't they have the clock too?  And, as mentioned above, you could order a clock without the console gauges, but could you do the other way around and get the console gauges and not the clock.  I always believed that if you checked the box for optional console gauges, the clock was included in that.  I also believe that you could order the tach as well and not the console gauges, and that the fuel gauge would go in the center where the clock would go. 

Here are some 69 Camaro Indy Pace cars that have console gauges but no clock and I am wondering if the gauges are factory or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-Pace-Car-Convertible/183314517968?hash=item2aae658fd0:g:SXMAAOSw4apbQhHc&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Pace-Car/112865216122?hash=item1a474a867a:g:WKQAAOSw4PRaqB~b&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Steve

ko-lek-tor

• someday I'll get one finished
    • View Profile
So, just to make sure I understand this correctly, if I see a Camaro with console gauges and it doesn't have a clock as well, does that mean that the gauges were added later and the Camaro did not come with gauges from the factory? 

I know that Pace cars did not necessarily have console gauges from the factory, but if they did, shouldn't they have the clock too?  And, as mentioned above, you could order a clock without the console gauges, but could you do the other way around and get the console gauges and not the clock.  I always believed that if you checked the box for optional console gauges, the clock was included in that.  I also believe that you could order the tach as well and not the console gauges, and that the fuel gauge would go in the center where the clock would go. 

Here are some 69 Camaro Indy Pace cars that have console gauges but no clock and I am wondering if the gauges are factory or not.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-Chevrolet-Camaro-SS-Pace-Car-Convertible/183314517968?hash=item2aae658fd0:g:SXMAAOSw4apbQhHc&vxp=mtr

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-Pace-Car/112865216122?hash=item1a474a867a:g:WKQAAOSw4PRaqB~b&vxp=mtr

Thanks,

Steve

Good hearing from you Steve.
My answers were short and sweet so that there was no ambiguity. Let’s break down your reply by paragraph. 1st paragraph- gauges and no clock, yes, gauges were added and not factory. Period. No exceptions.
2nd paragraph- Pace Car, no exception. If it was ordered with OPTIONAL gauges (U17), it had a clock. You could have ordered a clock and a console separate, and if you did, you would not have gauges. I have a car like that.
3rd paragraph. Cars are wrong and have added gauges
Bentley to friends :1969 SS/RS 396 owned 79
1969 SS 350 (sold)
1969 D.H.COPO replica 4spd. owned since 85
1967 302 4 spd 5.13

BillG

• View Profile
The first Pace car you  show has the clock, so they may be original but the steering wheel is not original.
Bill Garrett

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
Or they got a new cluster and didn't cut it for the clock......
Kurt S
CRG

anything