Author Topic: Recently purchased a LM1 Camaro RS package  (Read 2283 times)

Kolt45cin

• View Profile
Recently purchased a LM1 Camaro RS package
« on: June 26, 2018, 11:55:36 PM »
I have verified both motor and transmission match the car Vin.  I have the car apart and looking for advice.  I have the original build sheet from owner.  The car was Dover white with blue interior and a D90 stripe.  It has the original 12 bolt rear end, (according to casting). Five leaf suspension.  The body is rusted bad. 

I am going to build motor only changing intake and carberator.  I am keeping original just in case I sell.  Just curious if I am heading in the right direction.  It is a complete car with original paint on most of car.  I have original RS decals, grille assembly, front clip.  Any recommendations? The body or shell is smoked.

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Recently purchased a LM1 Camaro RS package
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »
Kolt, Welcome and congrats on your purchase. So I am a little confused on the advice you are looking for.  With a rusted body, you have to fix that first (unless it is in non critical areas and you want a patina car :)).  But you likely won't be able to save the original paint, since you have to fix the rust.  Sounds like a pretty full resto (maybe frame on) is going to happen.

For the engine, keeping it all original but the intake and carb, will hurt value a little.  You are not going to loose much HP by keeping the originals and making sure they (and everything else) are in top running condition.

My first advice is to not throw ANYTHING away that you take off car.  A lot of things that you might not think, can be reconditioned instead of replaced.  but the parts are also a good source of reference when comparing why a repro part does not fit. Once the car is completely restored, then you can sell the good parts and get rid of the rest. :D

So how about some pics and we can give you some info. 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 03:43:02 AM »
White on blue, nice combo.
I'd be real curious to see the broadcast sheet. Very few of those survive for LM1's.
Kurt S
CRG

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2018, 02:19:04 PM »
I have verified both motor and transmission match the car Vin.  I have the car apart and looking for advice.  I have the original build sheet from owner.  The car was Dover white with blue interior and a D90 stripe.  It has the original 12 bolt rear end, (according to casting). Five leaf suspension.  The body is rusted bad. 

I am going to build motor only changing intake and carberator.  I am keeping original just in case I sell.  Just curious if I am heading in the right direction.  It is a complete car with original paint on most of car.  I have original RS decals, grille assembly, front clip.  Any recommendations? The body or shell is smoked.

Post some pics.

What is the axle code stamp?
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016