Author Topic: Crossram Package  (Read 11120 times)

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
Crossram Package
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:14:35 PM »
I had one of the very first crossram packages that GM sent to a few folks. I've seen several complete NOS setups for sale over the decades but I see subtle differences between mine and the later issue units. Of course, mine had the 1st design carburetors with accl pumps on the primaries only. One thing I definitely remember is the fact that there were NO manifold cover to manifold bolts included in the package. I suppose that's why folks are debating to this day about what the correct bolt head marking was supposed to be. There isn't a correct bolt. I remember using plain cheap hardware store bolts with no marking on the head, at all. Also, the throttle return spring bracket appeared to have been dipped in near gloss black paint. Brackets in later packages were natural, unpainted.
My new 2X4 package also included the extremely rare special fuel shield that was to be installed behind the left carburetor. (image below) (eventually sold to Wayne Guinn decades later) I think only a handful of 2X4 packages included the shield. Wayne posted a picture of my shield in his book, Camaro, Untold Secrets.
The package also included the four blueprint installation instruction drawings and parts list. I made copies of those sheets many years ago and my GF was selling the copies on ebay. I think several folks have made copies of my copies and still sell on ebay. I sold what must have been the 1st design cold air plenum about 20 years ago too.
 I still have a LOT of info from GM on the crossram.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crossram Package
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:38:18 PM »
Very cool Michael. Welcome to CRG. Sounds like you have a lot you can share with us!
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 11:57:22 PM »
I have no experience with these systems. What is the purpose of the shield behind second carb?  Welcome and thanks for sharing.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:06:28 AM »
As I remember the story, someone in engineering decided that because the rear carburetor was dangerously close to the distributor, a fuel line leak and a spark would be disaster. Then, someone in the legal department decided that the shield was somewhat an admission of guilt so it was deleted. From what I understand, only a very few of the first 2X4 packages included the shield.
My original parts list that was included with the package does not show the shield.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:52:33 AM »
Thank you. With the mentality of the day that makes perfect sense.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

BRG Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 01:52:31 AM »
Great information. I sent you a PM. Thank you

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:29 AM »
I recognize that name. Welcome to CRG, Mr. Hanson.
Jon Mello
CRG

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 02:43:42 AM »
Hi Jon. Good to hear from you. I miss those days, and that car.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 03:03:37 AM »
Well what became of that car?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 03:08:44 AM »
I raced the car in NHRA D/MP class until about 1971. I then sold the car less engine in about 1972. The buyer installed a 358" small block and continued drag racing for a year or two. It then went to someone that stored for several years, then it disappeared. A friend of mine said he saw the car completely restored back to original at a car show about ten years ago but he didn't get the owners name. I ranm the VIN a few times but no results.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 03:10:32 AM »
The package also included the four blueprint installation instruction drawings and parts list. I made copies of those sheets many years ago and my GF was selling the copies on ebay. I think several folks have made copies of my copies and still sell on ebay. I sold what must have been the 1st design cold air plenum about 20 years ago too. 

Michael,

I bought a set of those years ago on eBay, 1968 dated prints with the crossram plenum A/C setup clearly shown on the prints. I'm glad to have them, always wanted to find a set of '69 prints to verify what I had collected for my "cloned" crossrams I built over the years.
Always impractical for the street, but visually impressive to say the least.

Welcome to the CRG -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:13:15 AM »
I raced the car in NHRA D/MP class until about 1971. I then sold the car less engine in about 1972. The buyer installed a 358" small block and continued drag racing for a year or two. It then went to someone that stored for several years, then it disappeared. A friend of mine said he saw the car completely restored back to original at a car show about ten years ago but he didn't get the owners name. I ranm the VIN a few times but no results.
Well maybe it will surface again. What became of the motor that you held onto?
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 03:16:44 AM »

Michael,

I bought a set of those years ago on eBay, 1968 dated prints with the crossram plenum A/C setup clearly shown on the prints. I'm glad to have them, always wanted to find a set of '69 prints to verify what I had collected for my "cloned" crossrams I built over the years.
Always impractical for the street, but visually impressive to say the least.

Welcome to the CRG -

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve. Your copies are most likely copies from my originals. I think only very early 2X4 packages for 68 included the instruction sheets so there no new sheets for 69.

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 03:20:36 AM »
Well maybe it will surface again. What became of the motor that you held onto?

The 305" motor eventually went into a friends 64 Nova with Enderle injectors for street use. LOL. The crossram sold to a guy in southern Illinois for $250. minus the cold air setup.

Michael Hanson

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 03:30:12 AM »
I found a picture of the cold air plenum. I'm told this was a 1st design plenum but I don't know what the difference is.