Author Topic: Rust on clutch pressure plate  (Read 4335 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Rust on clutch pressure plate
« on: May 08, 2018, 02:22:46 AM »
When I took my car apart ten years ago, I put the clutch in a box and stored it away. It is a Hays clutch that I bought in the mid 80's. I live in Florida and my storage area doesn't not have AC.

I took it out recently to look at it and found that the Florida humidity had worked it's magic and covered the friction surface of the pressure plate with rust spots.

I went over it with Scotchbrite and that did very little. When you run you hand over the surface, you can feel that the rust spots are raised a little above the surface of the clean metal.

Is there a fix for this that won't screw up the machined friction surface? I'd hate to have to replace the clutch as it worked fine before the car was taken apart.

Also, what a good method for cleaning up the entire unit and the 30 plus years of grime and dust in there.

Thanks......Dave

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Re: Rust on clutch pressure plate
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 03:35:09 AM »
After almost 40 years, not worth the hassle.  Just buy a new assembly.  Changed the clutch in mine a few years ago working on jack stands.  Almost called a friend to help stab the transmission but after a few tries I got it.
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 11:10:46 AM »
There's places that can rebuild your plate. Check on the internet....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »
Since you bought that in the 80,s you are probably not in your 20,s. If you want to drive a lot that clutch will wear your left leg out. You might want to get a new clutch that is not the 3 finger style although if racing is your plan that is it. The rust is most likely all up in the levers and springs also, more worries than the surface.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 01:11:55 PM »
Since you bought that in the 80,s you are probably not in your 20,s. If you want to drive a lot that clutch will wear your left leg out. You might want to get a new clutch that is not the 3 finger style although if racing is your plan that is it. The rust is most likely all up in the levers and springs also, more worries than the surface.
A lot of truth in what Kelly says. I had a Borg & Beck (Zoom) in mine for some years & they are harder on the legs plus all the linkage. Bell cranks used to break on me. NOS are expensive today. Went with the stock clutch & bell housing today. I just don't do 7k launches anymore.
....Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 04:20:24 PM »
Pressure plate may be toast.   Spray it with some Industrial WD40 first, let it soak, then wipe dry.  Use air to blow out the rest. You could then try sanding the pressure plate surface with 120 grit.

It would probably be best to just buy a new one. One with less pressure - stock type.

Edited. I thought you meant cleaning inside the car!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 09:34:09 PM by bcmiller »
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
Soak the surface of the pressure plate face down in some acid (white vinegar) for a while to get the rust off and run it.  I would not replace it unless it would not release.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 05:33:12 PM »
Thanks for all the replies and opinions. It seems there' a lot of different ideas on whether to keep it or replace it.

I've decided to go ahead and re-use this clutch for the following reasons.

1) Yesterday, I cut up some rags, laid them on the friction surface, and soaked them with Evaporust. Every few hours, I pulled the rags and went over it with Scotchbrite. By the end of the day, the rust was gone. There is some tiny pitting where some of the rust spots were but no scoring or grooves.

2) Although it was bought in 1984, it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. The car was a fair weather driver for four years, stored for five years, and then saw very, very limited miles until the car was disassembled in 2008.

3) As far as the clutch pedal effort, I've always been fine with it. I like a firm clutch feel.

4) It isn't rusty any other place that the friction surface

5) A situation I'm sure lots are familiar with, I'm on the home stretch of this restoration and so far, have spent over double what I ever thought I would on it....with more to go. Every time another unexpected $100, $200, or $300 goes out the window, it starting to sting! Anytime an old part will still function properly and I can make it look good (looks not an issue with the clutch), I'm trying to reuse it.

When I take the flywheel to have it resurfaced, I'll see if they can do the same on the pressure plate. I'll definitely be getting a new disc though.

Thanks......Dave

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2018, 07:54:35 PM »
I would not worry about the plate rust. My old vette used to sit and the clutch would stick and you could not get it in gear. I would bump the starter in reverse to free it and then you could hear the rust coming off when engaging the clutch. Drove it like that for years. Of course that is the one that grenaded when I missed 3rd gear at 7k and required a trans rebuild.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything