Author Topic: Oxidation on electrical connections  (Read 8306 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Oxidation on electrical connections
« on: February 12, 2007, 08:44:27 PM »
My question is about oxidation on electrical connections.  I've heard that there is such a thing as "oxidation solvent", but I've never seen it on the shelf of the auto parts stores.  So what is it and how can I get it?

My reason for my question is simple.  I know my 68 sat for well over a year before I got it.  I've spent the last two winters going through my wiring harnesses, cleaning connections, replacing a bad starter wire, etc.  I can really tell a difference, and I'd like to keep it that way.

I'd appreciate any info or suggestions.  ;D
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: Oxidation on electrical connections
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 05:41:29 AM »
Phil, you can go a commercial electrical supply store and find it. I don't have a brand name, but it's like electrical WD-40. Commercial electricians use it. Sorry I can't remember the name, but it works. Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »
Hi Phil -

The product I used on a daily basis at the dealer is called GM dielectric gel.  You can buy this at your nearest GM dealer.  They should have it in stock as the mechanics need it constantly with the thousands of computer connections on todays vehicles.  And yes, it really works.   :)

Paul  

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Appreciate the feed back.  I did get a complete answer thanks to you guys.  I was cleaning the connections with alcohol but knew it needed more.  So...
Found a can at my local dealership.  According to the parts guy, the cleaning agent is alcohol, but this stuff also has chemical agents that prevent future oxidation --which is exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks CRG!

blackss69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 12:29:20 AM »
Would you share the GM part number of the product?  The dealer I work with really has problems looking up anything. 

Thanks

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 01:31:22 AM »
Blackss69,
Actually, the can (3 oz. tube) he gave me was not GM.  It's Wurth.  So, I don't have a GM part number.  That tube is laying on my work bench next to the car sixty miles away (which I will not get back to for a couple of weeks --darn it) or I'd give you the number off of it.  BTW, nowadays it also comes as grease (or gel like Paul described it) in a tube.
Sorry to not be any more help...  I suspect with this much info., you could find it at an electrical supply like hotroad says.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:36:35 AM by lakeholme »

camaromikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 03:51:45 PM »
CRC makes a product. its just called a eletric parts cleaner. its in a WD40 size can. I know OReilly auto parts carries it and so should auto zone.