Author Topic: Spring Charlotte  (Read 1618 times)

ds1

• View Profile
Spring Charlotte
« on: March 22, 2018, 05:42:15 PM »
The time is once again coming for our spring trip to my favorite swap meet.   So many memories since 1993.   
This year is different.   We are coming with one less from our crew.  We lost my dads best man and best friend of 57 years.   Jeff was a picked member of our family.   About the time they were deciding to retire dad asked Jeff what car he would build if he could.  Jeff said a T bucket.   In 2005 Dad bought a frame and rear at Charlotte for $225.  Everyone bailed that year and it was just dad and I.   We took their Subaru.  We went to Lowes bought rope and lashed the frame to the roof rack for the 510 mile trip home.  Years later after they decided to build Jeff a T bucket, we bought a body there for $312.  It was the spring of the BIG tropical storm that hit Florida and the coast, but went right by other than a big rain storm Saturday night.  The truck was jam packed full, we had luggage jammed inside the truck with little room to sit.  But as always we made it. 
  Just after last spring I was approached to sell my 68 Z28 RS Berger car.  Being so far out on my list of things to do I sold it, wanting more to see the car done than sit. 
   Wanting to get back in racing I bought a cheap Vega out of Wisconsin.  Got it home and figured out it was an SRD built 1973 Pro Stock car.  It was one of the rare few that was an acid dipped Body In White car.  SRD was Jenkins crew that started a chassis shop.  The car was sponsored by the Chicagoland Chevy Dealers Association.           I have the full history on the car with many great pictures of it and its build.   
 A lot has changed in a year.   I have made major changes in my life.   Also I am done with selling High End parts, that was a joke.  Im back to nickel and dime parts, they sell.   
   This trip will be bitter sweet.   Our missing member will be on all our minds.  But you can not take away all the great moments with family and friends.   One year I took two big ticket items.  I sold a rare engine block first that I never thought I would sell.   I said if I sold it and a set of heads I would buy everyone supper.   The  day went on and no sale on the heads.  I was packing up later than usual on Saturday afternoon.   Most of my stuff was put away.  Two guys came back out of breathe and said OH GOOD.   They were from New York and were on the road heading back home when there nephew called and said he wanted the heads.  There communication got crossed up.  They bought the heads and I told them they just bought my groups supper.   It felt great to have such a good weekend and share my good fortune with my family and friends.  I do not do this to get rich, I am content to make a little that I think is fair.  I use it to fund my projects.   
  Life really is short enjoy it.    Our friend Jeff did not smile, he had a grin that was his smile.   He is greatly missed. 
   I will be there this year with a large variety of parts, Camaro, left overs from old projects.  Now I am into nostalgia parts.   Look me up in the Green Field on the corner of FG diagonal from the Bumper Boys.   Stop take a load off and say hi.

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Spring Charlotte
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:53:04 PM »
I love Charlotte... went up on Thursday and bought parts... BEST DEALS ON THURSDAY... 
I picked up a 9M10 dated 437 LS6 distributor which had been painted black for $10.
 a set of MINT ORIGINAL BLACK 67 Chevelle Door panels for $40...
And $50 for an ITM shifter/rods for the 73 RS LT Z.

Don't have any chevelles however the prices were too good to turn it down.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything