Author Topic: AACA event at Gettysburg  (Read 4660 times)

RRMs69Z

• View Profile
AACA event at Gettysburg
« on: March 10, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
I am considering entering this year and trying for junior champ. If I can do so at Gettysburg, I will go for senior champ at Hershey in the Fall.  I have a couple of questions for those in the know.  Will I lose points for not having a certain accessories like a bumper jack or stickers that would have come on the car from the factory, like the GM door reflector?  Any tips? Will I receive a list of items I need to work on?  I plan to drive my car so I would like to get the shows out of the way. Thanks.

bergy

• View Profile
Re: AACA event at Gettysburg
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
There are some senior AACA judges on this forum who can provide feedback.  I have run seven cars through Grand National, so I can try to respond.  The car will be judged to be as it was delivered from the dealership to the first owner.  Any dealer modifications, however, must be documented as having been offered by the dealer.  For example - my 69 Yenko Camaro had Atlas wheels and traction bars  - I did not receive any deductions for those additions because I had Yenko literature that indicated them as optional dealership additions.

You will need your bumper jack.  Also, depending on the level of expertise of the judges, you may need correct stickers in place.  The most common major deductions on first junior judging are for radial tires, halogen headlights, and incorrect batteries (correct battery topper will receive most of the points).

In general, AACA judging is a great experience - you'll meet some really fine People for sure.

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:45:40 PM »
Phil, Lakehome on here, is a judge. He can answer all your questions.  The rule book is posted on the AACA site for you to read. What car do you have? I intend to be there in a different class.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

RRMs69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 01:48:10 AM »
Thanks for the information. I just restored a 69 x77 built August 28, 1969. I won't have the right battery topper because they don't make one for a Y77 battery but I plan to put on the correct tires for the show. I just have a hard time paying around $500 or more for a bumper jack. But I am checking eBay every day. Everything else should be correct. Matching number engine and rear. Transmission is an m22 from a 73 camaro. I have an AM radio but a FM antenna, not sure if that will cost me.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 02:12:27 AM »
I would think the AM-FM solid mast antenna with a AM radio would be a demerit but have not utilized AACA but plan to this year. Good luck to you!
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

RRMs69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 02:21:12 AM »
Thanks Chick. I believe you are friends with the gentleman that I bought my car from, he restored it for me too. His shop is in new oxford.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 02:41:46 AM »
Will I lose points for not having stickers that would have come on the car from the factory, like the GM door reflector?
The blue GM sticker? Not used after 67.
Kurt S
CRG

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 03:52:49 AM »
I will let Lakehome step up here when he can. BUT, don't over think this. AACA judges ALL 5000 makes of cars from 1890 to 1993. They don;t know cars well enough tp [ick up the antennae. CAn you borrow a jack for the show? They also do not check things like engine numbers. And you will not get a list of things wrong with your car. You CAN request a judging sheet that will tell you the area, like engine compartment and number of points.
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »
Sorry to have missed this... Just started working on the 2019 Glidden Tour.
Go to AACA.org, under Publications download the Judging Guidelines.  In the guidelines find the class judging sheet for automobiles, appendix 3-5.  That's as close as I can come to a list.  Note that there is the dreaded Other slot in tbe Chassis section. That is where they will count off for missing  jack and stickers. BTW, both of those are not accessories, as you describe them. The car came from the factory with them.  Can't say how many points the Chassis judge will deduct. It is his/her call.
Not sure about Gettysburg, but I will be at Hershey. Hope to see you there. Post a picture of your car.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

RRMs69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 01:47:09 PM »
Thank you.

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 02:27:47 PM »
You are welcome.  Nice car!  8)
The antenna issue is a 2 point maximum deduction, so I'd leave it like it is. 
Note what Bergy said about documentation.  Take your 69 AIM and Owners Manual with you.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 11:11:41 PM »
Thanks Chick. I believe you are friends with the gentleman that I bought my car from, he restored it for me too. His shop is in new oxford.
Good looking Blue Z/28 and yes he is a friend. Does very nice work and one of the good guys. Phillip would know but I'd doubt they check a date code on the jack so just put a correct looking one in with tire iron, and I bet you would be OK.
What say you Phillip?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 12:17:58 PM »
AACA does not check numbers. If the jack is mounted properly how you gonna check it anyway? The chassis judge will not pull it out to look... So if it looks original and is in good condition as it came from the factory...
Come to think of it, I like the "borrow one"  or "buy one and sell it after Hershey on Ebay" suggestions. 
In the trunk area most points are deducted for non-matching spare tire, no valve cap, and rust.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 01:37:42 PM by lakeholme »

RRMs69Z

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 03:03:08 AM »
Great advice and tips, thanks to all who responded.