Author Topic: Looking for guidance on my 68 Camaro  (Read 6595 times)

Andi

• View Profile
Looking for guidance on my 68 Camaro
« on: February 14, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Hi Group,
I'm trying to find out as much information as possible on my car. It's a 1968 convertible and based on the VIN & trim tag, I know the original exterior color was Ash Gold. It has a black convertible top and black bucket seats. It was a column shifter. The original motor, trans, & rear are long gone so I'm not able to determine anything from them.

Any ideas on where I can look for information? Or pictures? I can't seem to find any pictures with the color combinations/convertible top in a 68.

I'd love to hear from someone who can point me in the right direction.

Thanks! Andi

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for guidance on my 68 Camaro
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 05:22:16 PM »
The interior codes are found here....
http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#InteriorColors

Your top color most likely matched the interior color from the factory; you might have to dig for a bit, but I'd be surprised if you can't find out anything/everything you want to know on the crg archive data site:   http://www.camaros.org/

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:40:19 PM »
Thanks. Sorry for my confusing post. I already figured out that interior colors was black and the convertible top was black based on the trim tag. I was trying to determine if it was an original SS based on the VIN & trim tag. That's all I have to go by at this point. I'm sure Chevy had specific combinations that were SS only but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:58:25 PM »
You'll never know without the original engine or docs but you can get clues as to what it originally was. Starting HERE would be a good beginning.

Ed

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 06:13:53 PM »
Thank you. I've been using "process of elimination" to try to figure out what it may have been originally. The link you posted has been very helpful, but I think I got all of the info I'm going to get. Still some unknowns. :(

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 06:16:32 PM »
Yes, without the original engine, transmission and rear axle it will be tough to figure out what it had originally.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

68 Ragtop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 06:50:17 PM »
Thanks. Sorry for my confusing post. I already figured out that interior colors was black and the convertible top was black based on the trim tag. I was trying to determine if it was an original SS based on the VIN & trim tag. That's all I have to go by at this point. I'm sure Chevy had specific combinations that were SS only but I'm having a hard time figuring it out.

Chevy did not have specific color combinations that were SS only. If I had to guess, grandma gold with a column shift was probably not an SS, even though that combo certainly could have been.

Only thing you can tell for certain with what you've got is V8 vs straight 6 from the VIN. Build it the way that makes you happy.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 06:57:27 PM »
Andi is it a column shift manual 3 speed or an automatic? If an automatic, how many forward gears?

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 12:53:13 PM »
It was originally a column shift automatic. I've replaced the column shifter with a Hurst shifter and console setup.

I'm not sure how many gears because the original transmission was replaced.

I'm pretty much done with the restoration process. New bucket seats this Spring should complete it. (For now) I guess it will never really be done. LOL

Thank you all so much for your responses. Much appreciated!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
Andi, if you still have it, the plastic indicator on the original column shift will tell you how many forward gears you had. Look below at the pictures. The top one is for the Powerglide and the bottom one if for the Turbo 400 (or the Turbo 350 if you happen to have a VERY late car).

Ed

maroman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 04:30:11 PM »
Was the indicator the same for Powerglide and the torqueglide?
Doug  '67 RS/SS 396 auto I know the car since new

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 05:31:41 PM »
Was the indicator the same for Powerglide and the torqueglide?

No, the Torque-Drive lens was different but I can't find a picture of it. The 1968 Camaro column shift Powerglide lens was P/N 3904851 (with tilt wheel) or 3895209 (without tilt wheel), and the Torque Drive lens was P/N 3943646. Apparently there wasn't a service part number for the Torque Drive lens WITH tilt, and that's probably because it was such a rare option (a hair less than 3100 made in 1968), and only available with the 6 cylinder engines, I would imagine there probably weren't any Torque Drive cars built WITH tilt columns!! If someone ordered the Torque Drive, it was because they were cheap!!!

Ed

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 05:36:50 PM »
Ed knows where I am going with this.  If the indicator is original to the car and it is the Turbo 400 type, that indicates the engine was a 396.  Just one thing to look at...

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 05:39:58 PM »
Wow, that would be an easy way to tell, but when I bought the car, the previous owner switched it from a column shift to a racer type floor shifter. So much of the car was changed, and hacked, so I don't know what was originally in it. I wish the VIN or trim tag told more of the history. I just want to know for my own use.

I do know that it was originally a V8, but other than that, I don't know much else. She's my beauty though and I love her. She's getting a new exhaust system now, and once that's complete, she should be ready to go!

I miss her and can't wait till Spring so I can drive her!! :) :)

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
Well, in that case you're probably not going to be able to determine with it started life as. What's the VIN? We may have it in the database.

Ed