Author Topic: seat covers  (Read 5470 times)

68rsssrag

• View Profile
seat covers
« on: February 05, 2007, 05:58:06 AM »
Anyone had experience recovering 1968 deluxe front seats with the vinyl kits from PUI? Is the fit and stuffing correct?
Arno

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: seat covers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
Arno -

What does PUI stand for?

Paul

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 05:42:41 PM »
^^ PUI (Parts Unlimited Inc.) is a manufacturer of seat covers & upholstery.

I used their armrest and side well covers on my car.  They fit well.  I have not had any experience with the  PUI seat covers - I used ones from CARS.

I think no matter what manufacturer you buy from, you will need to work at them to get a nice fit.  I have many, many hours invested in mine along with some help from a local upholstery guy. 
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:20:46 AM »
Jeff

I can put in the time but i want to be sure that the padding is full and seams are per original. I've seen some where the seat padding just wasn't right and the seat sags or dimples. Not sure who supplied these but I'm not sure there is a great deal of supplier choice. Legendary doesn't make this model, Distinctive does I think and then there is PUI.

Arno

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
I have seen both the Distinctive Industries (DI) and PUI deluxe seat covers.  I actually installed a set of DI seat covers on my 68 deluxe sets.  They were very soft and pliable - easy to install, but the vinyl was definitely 'soft' compared to my original covers (you could scratch the vinyl with your fingernail).  From what I remember the stitching on the 'insert' part of the seat was not correct.  They were also a little on the puffy side.  It also took a lot of exchanging before I got a set that looked nice enough to install.  However, that was some time ago and maybe they have changed.

Not being happy with the DI covers, I bought a set of PUI ones.  The PUI covers were very nice looking (don't remember if the stitching was correct).  The vinyl seemed very heavy duty and firm, but it looked like they would be tough to stretch and fit properly.  I sent them back.

Like I said, I ended up getting covers made by CARS, but only because I decided to go with houndstooth and PUI did not have them available.  They are very, very nice quality - hand made per order.  The vinyl weight and texture seems just right.  I did have to exchange some pieces of the set several times to get ones that were perfect, but it was worth it in the end.  I'm not sure if CARS would make a 'plain' set of deluxe covers, but you could give them a try.

Sorry to ramble on here, but there always seems to be a story behind everything I have done to this car.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

68rsssrag

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 05:18:50 AM »
Great input Jeff.
Thanks

Arno

anything