Author Topic: Swiss Camaro, Explanations  (Read 15994 times)

Tom76

• View Profile
Re: Swiss Camaro, Explanations
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2018, 11:31:50 AM »
The cars assembled in Biel in the years 1947 - 1963 were exported from Switzerland to the following countries: Austria, Yugoslavia and Italy.

From 1964, it was produced exclusively for the Swiss market (Source: On a Global Mission Volume 3, Site 1127).

The CKD and SUP I have probably confused something, Sorry.

Aslo, CKD is a prefabricated car which in turn is disassembled for shipment. At the destination is rebuilt together. Correct?
And SUP are undefined on an Ato, so miscible with all the other parts?

The LA did not come from me, but from a mechanic at GM Suisse. This is because some chassis were built there for capacity reasons. How far this is true, I can not judge.

I read that from a book published in Switzerland.
Maybe that's wrong.

The with the XCO is not clear what that should be concrete.
Where does this XCO come from, or otherwise you can explain to me what exactly that is?

The '67 Camaro had the same platform as the Chevrolet Nova from 1966. This included the bottom group, windshield / splashboard to the rear.
This started production in 1965 for the 66 models. The 1968 Camaro had the same chassis as the '67 (unless I read it correctly).
This read this date code because it counted from day one.
And since this chassis min. 2 years was built for 1967 + 9168, could theoretically code 730 (instead of 666) exist.
At Opel, this was partly practiced, depending on the model.
That's what my theory is based on.

This is supported by a recent example of the last known CH-Camaro from 1967:

This one has the release number J-294-22. Assuming that the 01.01.1967 has the release code J-1-1, for the first Camaro, the 294th day would be the 18 October 1967.
This fits so far, as the cars were delivered about 8-10 weeks after completion!
The 1st Inverkstag is January 1968 and is doing well there.

This one has the release number J-294-22. Assuming that the 01.01.1967 has the release code J-1-1, for the first Camaro, the 294th day would be the 18 October 1967.
This fits so far, as the cars were delivered about 8-10 weeks after completion!
The 1st Inverkstag is January 1968 and is doing well there.

The X308 behaves like this:
Under www.low-rider.ch exactly the Camaro is shown with the chassis S9-675199.
There he is in black and red interior.
Whether the original is can not be determined.
I assumed that it is original.

So far 214 Camaro from 1967 are known (highest chassis number).

The change of TS. BT ("Typen Schein" and "Bordereau Type") in the CH had the reason in the system of the DTC (Dynamic test Center = GM certificate maker of typing).
Due to the variety of models from about 1968, the system was changed to CH. On the type certificate is the following:
Swiss Type Testing Commission for Motor Vehicles ( In German: Eidgenösische Typenprüfungskommision fuer Motorfahrzeuge )

If you could give me the second Camaro with L-6 di chassis number, or the GM Suisse S.A. Bienne, I would be happy.

The forum is there to discuss. I think it's good that you address that, because you are the one who has the deeper knowledge of the Camaros!

I appreciate that very much and actually want the same thing as you:

To solve the mysteries of CH-Camaros :-)

Grtz Tom

Tom76

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:50 PM »
hello Kurt,

in the post "Swiss Camaro" and the Camaro tour de suisse,
Can you write me in which literature you found this?
In the near future I will go to the archive of the "Swiss Car Register" in Switzerland.
I could possibly find something to it.

Tom

Sipma

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
Hi Tom76,
I own a 1968 Camaro 350SS.
This car is build in Swiss.
Can you give me more information?
Greetings Jogchum Sipma from the Netherlands.

Tom76

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 09:20:27 PM »
Hello Sipma,

The '68 Camaro was imported and assembled in Switzerland.
My records give the picture that those who imported via GM Suisse were also mounted (CKD).
Those who were NOT imported via GM Suisse are all import vehicles.

Of the assembled are known to 163 pieces (only the number, not the versions).
Of these, 24 must have been mounted as a 350 SS.
Possibly it was only 19, since it was the last year where Chevrolet were mounted, this is not clear in terms of numbers.

You can tell me GM Suisse S.A. Bienne badge send, I can you this, as far as possible, decode and also send the type certificate.

If you want to send this:

GM_Suisse@gmx.ch

This is my e-mail :-) ... not the Swiss GM ;-) ....

Grtz Tom

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2024, 04:01:16 AM »
I'm confused why I didn't reply!
CKD is a prefabricated car which in turn is disassembled for shipment. At the destination is rebuilt together. Correct?
And SUP are undefined on an Ato, so miscible with all the other parts?
Grtz Tom
No. Incorrect. CKD is a car shipped in parts (the exact same parts shipped to the US assembly plants) and assembled at the CKD plant. Those parts would never see the inside of the US assembly plant - they would be sent to the warehouse in Bloomfield, NJ. When all the parts were gathered, the shipment of  would be sent.

More detail:
All of the non-U.S. factories assembled Camaros from "completely knocked down" (CKD) kits. The CKD cars were exported as a kit with complete assembly required. The parts and subassemblies for CKD export units were the same parts and subassemblies that were delivered to the NOR and LOS assembly plants. These parts were shipped to a central collection point (called a "boxing plant"), consolidated into kits, and then packed into containers for shipment overseas to small GM joint-venture and contractor-operated assembly operations. The boxing plant was located in Bloomfield, NJ and was managed by GM Overseas Operations. With twenty-four cars in the typical export car order (XCO) and generally six CKD kits to a container, that meant four containers were required per XCO.

SUP is a complete assembled-in-US car that is then shipped internationally.
Kurt S
CRG

anything