Author Topic: Breaks - working properly?  (Read 4233 times)

Andi

• View Profile
Breaks - working properly?
« on: October 18, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
Hi, my 1968 Camaro front breaks were converted from drum to disc. The rear breaks are still drum.  I thought the difference after the conversion would be night and day. When I apply the breaks, at first, I can notice the difference. Then, as I continue to apply the break, when the pedal is about half way, it feels like the car isn't going to stop and I have to almost stand on the break pedal to get it to stop. The front breaks have been bleed and the back breaks appear to look normal (rotors, pads, etc look good).

I'm obviously no mechanic, or have any knowledge about this so I asked my brother in law to take a look. He's a mechanic and has the same '68. His can stops completely differently from mine and I guess I assumed mine would feel more like his.

He's kind of stumped. He's going to look at the master cylinder to see if that's an issue. But I was wondering if anyone had any info to share with me. Any ideas? Any suggestions? Anything would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Breaks - working properly?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
OK a couple of things you didn't mention. Was it manual drum all the way around, and now it is power disc up front? Also I am just making sure you installed a proportioning valve in the system when you made the swap? Continuing on that thought, if you used a aftermarket proportioning valve, they do make them with some adjustment. Also for brakes in general, I would check all your rubber hoses, I have seen on some of my original cars, the metal band on the ends of the hose get corroded enough to squeeze the rubber hose almost closed. ( so hardly any fluid gets through).

I am sure your brother knows to bench bleed the master before installing, s he may want to double check that.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction in tracking it down.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Thanks for responding. Yes, the breaks were drum all the way around, and now disc only up front. A proportioning valve was installed with the conversion kit. In fact, it had to be replaced after installation because it was leaking. So, the valve is good now and not leaking.

I'll ask him about the bench bleed. I don't know what that means, but I'm sure he will.

thanks so much!! I really appreciate your thoughts :)

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 06:05:41 PM »
Did you add a brake booster? there are vacuum lines involved with that, so another thing to check. Also even though your proportioning valve isn't leaking, it may need to be adjusted, depending on the brand.
BTW- I have factory manual front disc on my 65 Mustang, and rear drum, and the car stops fine, better than my 4 wheel drum car anyway.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Andi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 11:58:17 AM »
Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it and I'll ask my brother in law to check. Thank you again :)