Author Topic: To restore or not ?  (Read 3153 times)

Badazz68camaro

• View Profile
To restore or not ?
« on: August 23, 2017, 06:38:16 PM »
Ok first let me say thanks to everyone on this forum.... The information located and given by members in this group and on CRG is hands down by far the most informative I have ever seen.... I have a few questions for the members of this site... So I recently purchased a 1968 Camaro 396 375 HP RS SS The car is very original based on all the information I have found on this site. The car has had a repaint in black not the original Lemans blue ( a negative or a positive ? ) Mind you I purchased this car as a investment car I currently have 2 other Camaros in the garage so even thou this is by far more rare than my 68, I have a long emotional attachment to that car..... Anyways... The motor was rebuilt and decked but the MQ stamp even though light is still very visible as is the vin... When I saw this I Immediately checked all date codes and part number (thanks again to CRG for this information) and rear and trans stamp which all line up. So the question I have is do I strip the car and restore or leave it alone.... Also Help me out I understand that they made 4000 or so of the L78 did they all blow up ??? I mean there are tons of Z28 out there but most of the 396 appear to have gone by the way side.... Why is this???? The car seems very stout and would think that the Z28 would have spun bearings left and right..... Thanks Again guys for everything

Badazz68camaro

• View Profile
Re: To restore or not ?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 06:45:51 PM »
Another question is the trans reads P8E15 and then a small C... from what I have read C is M22 but I thought there were no later built m22 trans.... I could be wrong but information on this is a little vague...

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 07:10:18 PM »
Please pm or email me photos along with the info on the car as if it is a genuine L78 I would like to add it to my database.   Welcome to the site too..

cook_dw"at"hotmail.com

Replace "at" with @

The small c is not the correct designation for the M22 in this case.  There are still a couple L78 cars floating around..  As to whether or not to restore is dependent on the current condition.  Since you bought it as an investment that will weigh in on the decision as to the amount you are willing to spend.  4575 total to be exact on the number of L78's built.

Badazz68camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:35 PM »
Thanks Darrell, I am in the car for in the mid 30's my question is where is the market on this car for a top notch car.... I emailed you a few pictures and the vin looks to be a june car by vin correct
8N460920
And what is the C at the end of the trans number?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
And what is the C at the end of the trans number?

Welcome Badazz,

No definitive answer on that question yet.  It is still being researched.  More info here...

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=5621.msg36721#msg36721

Paul

Badazz68camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:30:21 AM »

Badazz68camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:31:16 AM »

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 03:45:12 AM »
Great looking car. The paint looks decent from your pics. If you painted it the original color, I don't think you would re-coupe your costs right away with the current market. So investment wise i would "stick" and enjoy the car as is, and switch out small items like spark plug wires, breather cap, figure out the antenna if it was not a factory radio delete car. You ran most of the numbers, so any other small items I would get to make it that much more correct. (Tower clamps etc.)

As far as your question regarding Z/28 vs Big block cars out there. There are so many fakes of both I would not be able to fathom a guess of what is really left by what you see at shows and online. I would guess there are equal number of both left, but if the motor has been removed from these cars, they could have been restored differently than they left the factory.

1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

anything