Author Topic: ZL2 Hood Grommet  (Read 4047 times)

Z28Project

• View Profile
ZL2 Hood Grommet
« on: August 17, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »
I was looking at the available repop hood grommets that the solenoid wire goes through, and they are nothing like I remember them being back in the day.  They just have a big hole in the middle.

Did GM change to that style at some point later on? 

Does anyone make the original style or know any availability of originals?

John
John

69 Z/28 NOR 12B X33 H.O. 'Ex-Racer'

Z28Project

• View Profile
Re: ZL2 Hood Grommet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:24:26 AM »
Here's the repopped grommet that everybody carries:

It is nothing like the original grommet that came with this hood back in the day:

There seems to be very little information or pictures of the original style grommet.   Just wondering why the grommet was reproduced so inaccurately??
John

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 10:14:33 PM »
Back in 1969 that grommet was probably a common off the shelf [COTS] part supplied by McMaster-Carr or the like. It's known as a 'witches hat' grommet because it was molded closed; the tip was trimmed to match the size of the wire.

What they now sell is as close as it gets; I doubt that's a reproduction. Even if you could find the original style there is probably a big minimum buy.
Learning more and more about less and less...

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 12:27:08 PM »
Hmm, this looks like a perfect item for me to protoype a correct molding.  I wonder what the demand would be?  But at $8 a re-pop, it would be tough to recoup my time put in. I have not done a molding project since I did the RS washer valve plastic part. :)

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 12:53:19 PM »
The retaining prongs are part of a steel stamping so that part would also have to be duplicated. The rubber was molded over it. Rubber doesn't bond to untreated steel; rust is visible in the photo of the original. They didn't hold up very well.

The ZL2 grommet is similar to the speedo cable grommet [3792008]. The steel part may be the same; maybe you could obtain a supply of those and strip off the rubber. My guess, the part sold today is the speedo cable grommet.
Learning more and more about less and less...

x66 714

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 02:11:43 PM »
I can't see real well with my console gauges in place but it sort of looks like the factory shift cable grommet. The replacement cables come with a flange seal...Joe
See America's First, Chevrolet

1968 Z/28 Corvette Bronze. Black Hounds Tooth. 02E Los Angeles born 3/13/1968 pnt OO. Purchased March 1976
1969 SS396 Yellow/Yellow 08E Norwood born 8/28/1969 pnt 76E. Purchased April 1981

Z28Project

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 04:15:44 PM »
Hmm, this looks like a perfect item for me to protoype a correct molding.  I wonder what the demand would be?  But at $8 a re-pop, it would be tough to recoup my time put in. I have not done a molding project since I did the RS washer valve plastic part. :)

Do it!  I'll be first in line for it!  With everyone striving for accuracy I'm surprised this hasn't been addressed. 
John