Author Topic: 1969 Camaro Z28 Underneath Sheetmetal  (Read 6939 times)

MarioZ/28

• View Profile
1969 Camaro Z28 Underneath Sheetmetal
« on: January 20, 2007, 06:17:01 PM »
I am in the process of doing a rotisserie restoration on a numbers matching 1969 Z/28.
I am doing the last bit of welding and will be ready to shoot primer on the vehicle shortly.
My painter and I were discussing the color of the floor and trunk sheetmetal from underneath.
I am very interested in keeping this car correct.
I have seen the sheetmetal in question a primer grey color to a black similar to what goes in the engine compartment.
Does anyone know the factory color?
Thank you
Mario

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 Camaro Z28 Underneath Sheetmetal
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:34:53 AM »
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=1544.0

Currently being discussed at the above link - your post under originality
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Mario
 First off I hope you enjoy your resoration work as much as I have, It is really cool when you finally get one finished.
Like what is mentioned in the other posts this topic of under carriage finish is a on going topic. I highly recommended you read all the posts that John Z has made on this subject, the threads are posted for you. And  the First generation Camaro assembly process is a must read for sure. I made a copy of it and refer to it often.
 I offer up a few shots of a 17K mi. 69 Camaro 04C Norwood car that was very solid with little corrosion. Basicely the undercarriage's of alot of these Norwood cars were a mess to look at.
As you can see by the before photos, I was able to get a good view as to how this car was built. It was decided at the time of restoration by the owner and me to try and replicate the overspray detail. See after shots. I personnely like the way it turned out, and believe it is a fairly acurate interpratation of what was there before I started.  And I will admit here it is probably way to neat and delibarate looking compared to what was there when I started.
I have also done several other cars with a nice satin black finish that is also very nice looking.
Anyway, no matter what you decide, ther will always be opinions and critics on what is correct. And I would never argue that this car is 100% correct. When it comes right down to it most all these high quality restorations are ovedone, and that is not a bad thing, after all we have alot more time to devote to these cars now compared to what actually happeded on the line. Not to mention the high quality primers and paint we have now.
At 59 I remember how just how average these cars were in terms of paint, fit, and overall quality.
                                                                   Good Luck Mike

X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe

Jonesy

• 1969 Camaro z28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »
Great job. The toughest thing to replicate is the factory undercoating in the rear wheel wells.
I chipped all mine out and found the factory color of my car under my undercoating just like you did.
Mine is a 69 LOS car 11B.
1967 RS-Z/28 Nantucket Blue the D-2 car
1969 RS/SS 350 4 speed Azure Turquoise
1969 Z28 Azure Turquoise

m22mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 08:03:17 PM »
True, I know what was in the wheel wells I have done is a heavy asphault type undercoating, sometimes up to 1/4" thick if they got carried away.
The 3M body shultz, sold in qt's, applied with a body shultz gun works good. It does have a differant texture to it. Need 2 qt's for a car, for 2 good coats.   
                                Mike
X66 L78 M22 4.10 Deluxe Threads, PNT 10/10, Red Hockey stripe