Author Topic: Heater Box Seals  (Read 3046 times)

Buzz1967

• View Profile
Heater Box Seals
« on: February 15, 2017, 10:07:46 PM »
Hello Members,

I'd like to know if there's some drawings of where the heater box seals go. The gentleman doing the body restoration pulled the heater box, stripped and blasted it, painted it and returned it for me to put the seals back in. I'm sorta at a loss as to where some of these foam seals go. I thought instructions would be in the kit. I could, as a last ditch, ask him to bale me out and tell me where they go, but to be honest, I feel kinda stupid doin' that. Can anyone direct me to a diagram or drawing for a '67 without air cond? I've been through the AIM backwards and forward.

As always, thanks!
Buzz

KevinW

• View Profile
Re: Heater Box Seals
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:21:07 PM »
I rebuilt my heater box, an sorta remember.  The kit rubber did not fit worth a d*mn, so I biught sheet neoprene rubber and made my own.

Ok, there are 3 levers on the heater box which control air flow, large by heater core, medium in the middle and the defrost one.  They all need seals, match up the sizes.  The large picture frame is probably the seal around the heater core. small skinny ones are for the defrost duct to dash seal.  For the defrost lever seal, I had to take a welded panel off to get to that one. I think there was a rectangular one in the kit for between the heater box and defrost duct, but I had never seen one of those on an original car, so I left that out. small one with two hole is to seal the heater tubes against the firewall.  not sure about what is left :)

What else 

Buzz1967

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »
Hi Kevin!

I'm gonna print out your explanation and go out to the shop to see what I got in the kit again. I did figure out the defroster seals and the middle door one. Let me get back to you because I have to take the wife in for her chemo and it probably won't happen today. Sorry.

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 11:30:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about your wife, been there, done that :(

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 01:13:49 AM »
I believe JohnZ said the seals between the duct and dash were never used. I checked my '67 survivor and no seals there. I don't ever recall seeing them on my '67 convertible either.
  The end flap has the seal attached with metal staples to the door. It felt like very hard rubber or leather. I left that intact and changed the other inner seals.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

anything