Author Topic: 69 RS vacuum relay  (Read 6502 times)

X33RS

• View Profile
69 RS vacuum relay
« on: February 07, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
Any one in particular that is better than another?   I see D&R has it for $70. 

I've heard strange stories of vacuum ports being reversed from originals etc...  Anyone here go through this?

ds1

• View Profile
Re: 69 RS vacuum relay
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 08:24:57 PM »
I bought one new and broke it trying to put the hose on.    I have no faith in the reproduction parts.   Bought new actuators, they did not work.   Bought the hose kit.  The ends rotted up in 6 months and fell off.  I then bought fuel line and put on the car.   It just never worked right in cold weather

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:36:03 PM »
Mine is still complete with all the 48 year old parts still working, including the original hoses, actuators etc....  I'm actually pretty amazed.

My only issue is the passenger headlight sometimes doesn't close.  When I fiddle with the vacuum relay on the tank then it will work fine for a while.  I get the sense something on that relay isn't sealing up completely or maybe it's sticking.

I was going to try cleaning and lubing it to see if it helps, but was preparing myself for the chance that I might have to buy one.

ds1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 02:28:27 AM »
The repo actuators are plungers with rubber seals inside.   They shrunk when cold, lost the seal and the car ran rough from an internal vacuum leak.    I bought the relay and replaced it in the cold.  You should be good with buying a new one and replacing it.   I drove one of my 69 RS, 2001, everyday all year round in the north east.   In the snow.  It was fun to watch peoples eyes pop out of their heads when I drove by them in the cold and snow.   

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 02:55:38 AM »
I messed with it tonight. They open and close 4-5 times just fine, then when it feels like it, the passenger door won't close.  As soon as I touch the relay switch and basically push on the lever to make sure it's all the way over, the passenger door shuts.  Then repeats the process, works fine 4-5 more times and.....

It's almost like the switch works it's way towards the default open side just a little bit, enough to keep the passenger door from closing.  I'll keep working with it a bit and pull it off this weekend, clean it, lube it etc...and just keep an eye on how it acts.   If it continues, then I'll have to replace it.

my69Z28camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »
X33RS: I can confirm your "strange stories" as to my experience. A few years ago, I replaced the actuators, vacuum tank, vacuum relay, headlight switch and all the hoses. The usual reasons of cracked, broken, not operating correctly, some items looked like they were originals. When I plumbed it according to the diagrams and with the headlights OFF the doors would OPEN. I reversed the plumbing at the vacuum tank and it worked / works correctly. 
69 Z28 RS X33 50 A 713 Endura Console Rosewood

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 05:01:21 PM »
A bud put the better of the repro vacuum relays on his and the system now works fine. We cut open the original; the rubber piston that seals the vacuum ports was completely deteriorated, rubber dust everywhere.

The repro is identical to the original, may have been off original tooling.
Learning more and more about less and less...

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
X33RS: I can confirm your "strange stories" as to my experience. A few years ago, I replaced the actuators, vacuum tank, vacuum relay, headlight switch and all the hoses. The usual reasons of cracked, broken, not operating correctly, some items looked like they were originals. When I plumbed it according to the diagrams and with the headlights OFF the doors would OPEN. I reversed the plumbing at the vacuum tank and it worked / works correctly. 

Lol, thanks for clearing that up.  I thought I was hearing things.  Sounds like a case of maybe the hoses at the vacuum relay were reversed.  I wonder if the repops are labeled wrong or maybe the way they are designed internally they work backwards?

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 06:21:25 PM »
A bud put the better of the repro vacuum relays on his and the system now works fine. We cut open the original; the rubber piston that seals the vacuum ports was completely deteriorated, rubber dust everywhere.

The repro is identical to the original, may have been off original tooling.

Now that you mention it, I'm betting that is exactly what's going on.  This being an AZ car all the rubber parts are very dry as you can imagine, very typical of cars out here.  I wouldn't be surprised if the O-rings inside are deteriorated or hardened.  It does act as though I'm not getting a good seal and when I put pressure on the slide switch on top, it works, temporarily.   Most likely my effort of cleaning/lubing it this weekend will be a waste of time.

Where did you get the repo William?  Or are they all the same?

Thanks,
Larry

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 06:31:37 PM »
I have repro on my 68, the better stuff if I recall, and it works great and has done so for almost ten years. Relay, hoses, and cans.
Still have the originals, less the hoses, on the 69 and it all still works. Right side actuator is slow but it gets it done.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 08:08:23 PM »
I can confirm that some replacements are flipped as well, I replaced the valve on my 68 a year ago with a part from Rick's Camaro's and when I pulled my old one I marked the hoses to be 100% sure when i put the new one on and did that, fired the car up and the doors opened with the headlights off, pull the switch and the lights come on and the doors shut. Flipped the hoses and works like it should.
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
John, Camaroboy, where did you guys buy yours from?

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2017, 09:27:19 PM »
Oh man, I knew you were gonna ask me that, lol. I'll see if I can dig up that info. I know the actuators are CHQ(Classic Headquarters) and I was getting a lot of stuff from Classic Muscle back then but I'll try to verify that for you.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

X33RS

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 01:09:56 AM »
No worries John, don't go through a bunch of trouble.  I just thought you might know.  I have to place another order for stuff anyway, I'll throw it on the list and see what it looks like when it gets here.

I appreciate the help,
Larry

camaroboy68ss

• 1968 L30/M20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2017, 03:39:24 AM »
John, Camaroboy, where did you guys buy yours from?

I bought mine from Rick's Camaro's
Young gun with a Camaro or 2.
1968 Camaro RS L30/M20, 2017 Camaro SS
1968 Chevy C10 - Twin to the Camaro
1933 Ford Pickup - "Camaro in disguise"