Author Topic: 68 woodgrain ash tray+dlx hubcaps  (Read 56642 times)

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
Re: 68 woodgrain ash tray+dlx hubcaps
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2007, 08:14:14 AM »
Hi Dan -

If I understand you right, you need the 3927460 (black) ashtray since you have a console per the two posts left earlier by Ed. Is that right Ed?

Paul

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
The part number would be 3927460 as Paul stated, but I'm not sure which black is the "smooth" and which is the "textured". The P&A doesn't say.

I'm going to guess that the "standard" black tray (the 3919123) was smooth since that's the one pictured in the AIM (UPC-1, page B3), and since the dash itself is smooth, it would make sense. It wouldn't look right to have a smooth dash and a textured tray.

Since the console is textured, I'm again guessing that the 3927460 was textured for that same reason, but again, this is just a guess. Kurt or Rich might know. Guys?

Ed

JWC

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007, 05:05:07 PM »
I have an 02D Norwood car with what appears to be an original woodgrain ashtray.  I bought the car in 1990 and the ashtray doesn't appear to have ever been replaced.  All of the interior is (was) original except for the headliner (missing), deluxe seats and sidewall trim (replaced with standard '69 parts), and radio (missing).

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2007, 06:07:10 PM »
Thanks Cfar for this thread!
I'm putting an "amen" to Ed's appeal to anyone who might know the difference between the two early (black) 68 ashtrays!

I'm still pursuing the original documentation on my 68 12D (so I cannot prove anything), but the interior appears to be all original.  It has the woodgrain, console; but with a smooth black ashtray, which I have always assumed was correct.  But now you guys have raised some interesting questions.  So, Dan, it is supposed to be black, but which one?  Good question...

Ed,
I looked in the Oct. 1, 1967 P&A 34 hoping it might clarify the difference between the two 68 black ashtrays (since it predates the woodgrain), but it does not even refer to either as "(black)".  In fact, it has a discrepancy, describing the 3919123 as "w/console, w/intr. decor. pack" --That's right "with" not "exe."  (I've checked it a dozen times making sure my eyes aren't deceiving me.  That's gotta be a typo, right?)  The 3927460 is "w/console".  There is only one 67 ashtray listed: 3891667, which must have been used with any interior in 67.  So, there has to be some reason for two early 68s --logical or not...

So, somebody with a documented 68 please help answer Dan's question....
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »
Well guys,

Does it make sense that the first black one used would be the textured one since it followed the 67 version which is textured with the flat face? I looked again at the part #'s listed earlier thinking that they might be sequential in numbers but Noooooo! The good news for me is I have a black textured one and a woodgrain one. But I'll probably need the smooth one ;-)! I do like the looks of the woodgrain all together with the radio surround and console pieces. Anyway, thanks for the replies, Dan.................p.s. what do the stamped numbers on the bottoms mean. They are not the part #'s listed? My woodgrain has an "M" with the number IA27762 below it and the black one has AAD with 2753-1 below it. Hmmmmm?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2007, 07:06:00 PM »
JWC, thanks for the info. I've added it to the notes.

Phil, yes, I believe your book to be incorrect since the AIM shows this ashtray as the "standard" one used. This would mean no console and no interior decor package.

I went and checked a few of my old books and lo and behold, the "standard" ashtray (3919123) is textured, so I was incorrect in my previous statement as Summertime surmised. Therefore, the "smooth" ashtray must be the 3927460.

Summertime, the number on the bottom of the tray is "probably" the supplier part number, although I have no proof of this. It's NOT a GM part number though.

Ed
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:39:38 PM by bertfam »

cfar

• L30/M35 Tuxedo Black
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2007, 09:33:24 PM »
Ok Guys here is what i have found out -
My car is a Nov 67 3rd week LA car sold new in Hollywood on Jan 18 1968.
The oe enter dash panel is woodgrain and the ??? ash tray is smooth black.
It looks like whats pictured in the dealer books I mentioned earlier

I contacted the original owner who is still in LA and she said the dash had never been replaced and does not smoke either.She sold car in 1993 when husband died.

The second owner who brought car from LA in June 1993- had car about  2 years -could not contact.
Third owner had car 10 years. 1995 - 2005

I have known and worked on this car with the 2nd and 3rd owners.1993-2005

I have had car since Sept 2005
I have no reason to think the ash tray has been changed -but I think it has.
It does not have a GM number I can find - only stamiping is a M and 1A27762 on bottom.

So that's my story and i'm sticking too it. LOL

So  I need a black GM ashtray-but smooth or textured type is the question.

11C 1967 - Born on date estimated Nov 15th,1967 LA Plant
In Service Jan 18th, 1968  Hollywood CA

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2007, 09:56:06 PM »
cfar -

How did you find out the owner history on your car? Thanks.

Paul

cfar

• L30/M35 Tuxedo Black
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2007, 10:31:50 PM »
Paul,
I was just lucky i happen to know the 2nd and 3rd owners.I do a lot of local car club,cruises and shows.
The second owner worked for a Chevy club/restoration outfit who was contacted by original owner to post car for sale.The VP of the Chevy Club bought car and i do work for the club and the 3rd owner was sent to me also because I "knew" the car and history.

I know it has been mentioned before.....
Contact DMV for a History search on the car and tell them you just want to track car back to selling dealer.They may charged a fee.It's best if you have a connection at DMV or Law enforcement due to privacy laws.
Anybody else know any tricks to this-chime in.

Good Luck
Frank

« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:18:47 AM by cfar »

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »
cfar,

You have the correct ashtray.

Ed

cfar

• L30/M35 Tuxedo Black
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2007, 12:22:24 AM »
Hi Ed,
Thanks for the info.
I forgot to mention my ash tray is smooth black front-so I think it is ok.
Thanks
Frank

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2007, 05:43:23 AM »
Guys,

See. I knew it. My car is a 3rd week Dec. 67 car. Pre woodrgrain and after Franks (cfar)'s car. Of course I don't have the smooth one ;-(. Good thing I'm going to the Turlock, Ca. swapmeet this weekend. Look out smooth ashtrays!! Here I come. Thanks again everyone, Dan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »
Dan,

Before you go out and get another tray, here's what I've learned.

All 68's with the black dash panel received the black textured ashtray.
All 68's with the woodgrain dash panel received the smooth black ashtray up to the dates shown above.
All 68's with the woodgrain dash panel recieved the woodgrain ashtray after the dates shown above.

Hope this helps...

Ed

Daniel Cate

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 04:28:26 AM »
Ed,
I am correct in thinking that the woodgrain dash panel went with the deluxe interior group from the start of the 68 model year right? I have deluxe parchment and had put an orignal woodgrain piece in since mine was missing. Before I ever saw a black 68 style ashtray, I found a nice woodgrain ashtray and put it in to match. Then I saw a smooth black one listed on ebay. I thought, what does that go in and when? Since then I have picked up a textured style one just to have. So now it looks like I'll have to get the smooth one for my build date (12C) to be correct. Also, was the black style center panel for standard interior only and all the way through the model year? Thanks again for all of the clarifications. Ya gotta love the 68 mid-year stuff! My car is also A-2, Tuxedo and black vinyl top.

Dan

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 05:09:06 AM »
Dan,

What I found about the panels (and the ashtray) is from the 1968 "Major Appearance and Performance Option" sheet (attached). It states that you received the woodgrain dash panel if you got either the Z87 (Custom Interior) or the Z23 (Special Interior Group) options. I've gone through my books and can definately say that yes, the woodgrain panel started at the begining of the 1968 model year. I can also safely say that even if you DIDN'T order the Z87 or the Z23 options, but DID order the D55 Console, you again got the woodgrain panel. Only cars without Z87, Z23 or D55 got the black panel, and it appears that this continued until the end of the production run. Note that the attachment states you also received the "Smooth black ashtray faceplate", so that confirms what you stated above. There's no date on this sheet, but I do know it's early. Probably written before the 68 release.

Ed

Ed

« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:12:10 AM by bertfam »

anything