Author Topic: Need help identifying dealer:  (Read 3126 times)

fsc66

• View Profile
Need help identifying dealer:
« on: December 20, 2016, 02:40:02 PM »
Trying to identify the Dealer with zone 41 dealer code 912. Looks to be around the Witchita, KS area. It's not Yingling or Quality but likely begins with a "V" or "W".

Thanks,
Paul

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: Need help identifying dealer:
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 04:20:44 PM »
I assume you've tried all the manipulations you can make using the NCRS website??

http://www.ncrs.org/services/dealer-code-data.php

Some other information you might find useful in searching:
1) The Dealer number remained consistent as long as the same owner (or family) owned the dealership.
2) The Zone number changed each time that Chevrolet/GM moved their Parts Distribution Wareshouses which served an area...

Dealer 912 not found in Zone 41, or in Kansas area.   Leaving zone unspecified, results in 3 possibilities for Dealer 912...

Zone   Dealer Number   Dealer Name
Show Dealer Details   Change Dealer Details   10    912    Unknown
Show Dealer Details   Change Dealer Details   60    912    GM TRAINING CENTER
Show Dealer Details   Change Dealer Details   6    912    WAIPAHU AUTO COMPANY

suggestion:  Visit the local dealers in the area(s) you suspect, especially the older dealerships and ask to speak to the OLDEST/longest term Parts Department employee you can identify.   Ask them if they recall how the dealers changed, and in particular, how the zone changed during/since the time frame your car was deliered.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:46:43 PM by 69Z28-RS »
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 01:25:53 AM »
Thank you, did try the usual places and databases, still no luck. Also info was sent to NCRS and they had nothing.

Paul

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 05:05:19 AM »
You need a little information to start..  either the dealer name, or the area the car was shipped to.  With that you can find (maybe) older dealer personnel in that area, who can tell you their ZONE number at the time your car was built.  When GM changes the distribution point (ZONE number), all dealers in an area get their zone number changed along with it.  These zone numbers can change fairly often at times.   You need the Zone number for the area you are searching in for the timeframe your car was shipped.

If the original dealership was sold/closed/etc... then the DEALER number changes (and the old one goes away)!
Personnel in the PARTS departments are the ones I've found who generally KNOW what their Zone numbers are, and old personnel likely remember some of the Old Zone numbers associated with that area.  For my car, the Zone numbers has changed 4 or 5 times over the years (each time GM/Chevy changed the location for their parts distribution warehouses).
Fortunately in my case, the Dealer Number is still the same, and I had other information pointing to that particular dealer which led me to find out all about how the Zone had changed over the years.

1) The Dealer number remained consistent as long as the same owner (or family) owned the dealership, (but Dealerships got a different Dealer Number when ownership changed!).

2)  I'm not certain about this, but it's possible that Chevy/GM doesn't 'reissue' old Dealer numbers (I don't have enough data, even from the NCRS data base to test that theory).  if this is true, then once that Dealer is gone, and after the Zone changes, and after 47 yrs, it's MOST likely the zone has changed multiple times, it's almost impossible to find the Dealer unless you have some independent information about your car...   :(
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

fsc66

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2016, 01:49:15 PM »
Thanks all for your help, I have received the information.

Paul